9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2015 12:48 PM by raymondstationmgr

Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner

Don of AZ

I am putting together a computer to support HD 1080 video capture via
      a BlackMagic capture card, and burn the video on a Blu-ray burner.
      Will Premiere allow me to do this realtime?

Thanks for any help.
      Don

• 2. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Don,

If you are asking if you can capture straight to Blu-ray disc, DURING the capture process, then no.

On the PC, the Black Magic devices are going to capture video to an .avi file using the M-JPEG codec or uncompressed, your choice (use M-JPEG). That captured .avi file can then be imported into Adobe Encore to create a Blu-ray disc, with Encore doing the required transcode to H.264 before burning.

Alternately, you can run the .avi clip through Adobe Media Encoder via Premiere, or using AME as a stand-alone app, and AME can convert to H.264 for Blu-ray. The resulting file is then placed in Encore and needs no further transcode prior to burning. How long does it take AME to encode the files? On a recent Core-i7 machine with Nvidia GPU, one can expect encoding in the area of realtime or maybe a little better even. Older machines can take several times longer.

A proven workflow from Matrox is the MXO2 Mini with MAX capture device, and this WILL capture direct to a Blu-ray compatible H.264 file. It even does up-down-cross convert on capture. I have captured miniDV footage via S-Video into MXO2 and let it upscale to 1080i H.264 and it looked very good. Once the H.264 files are captured, drop them into Adobe Encore and burn to Blu-ray. That's about as fast as it gets.

Another thing MXO2 does is capture direct to .m2v for DVD, so that is another time-saving feature. Capture, then burn to DVD in Encore.

Any questions, catch me here or look me up

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 3. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
            Don of AZ Level 1

Jeff,

Thanks so much for all your advice.  I can clearly see I have a lot to learn about this.  I think for now I'll purchase a Blu-ray recorder, and deal with capture later just for streaming.  Can you recommend a good recorder around $1,000 - $1,500 that will burn up to 1080p?

Don

• 4. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your duplicate topic.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner

JVC offers a few stand-alone DVD recorders priced from about $1100 up to $4000.

Models are SR-HD1250US, SR-HD1500US, and SR-HD2500US. None of them offer HDMI or Component INPUT and I can tell you why - they are worried about people copying HD stuff they ought not to be copying.

They offer Composite or Y/C input (note: Standard Definition), Firewire, or you can insert an SDHC card from camera and write the contents to a Blu-ray or DVD. USB 2.0 is another option, I guess to get digital video files from camera (after the fact, not during live production). Also has HD-SDI on the $4k model.

I don't claim to know all the details, but I gathered the above with some quick searches and you can do your own research of course for more info and to find reviews.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 6. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This forum http://www.avsforum.com/f/106/dvd-recorders-standard-def is for DVD recorders

Clicking on the FORUM NAV: button, I do not see a forum to discuss standalone BluRay recorders... which MAY mean there is no such thing, or which MAY mean I did not spend enough time looking

Go to that link and click the FORUM NAV: button and search for yourself

• 7. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
                    Don of AZ Level 1

I looked around too, and couldn't find anything sold in the U.S. with component video in.  I am the technology guy at our church and we are beginning to video record our services in HD.  I want to burn a copy of the service and make it available through an HD duplicator for our shut-ins.  Guess I'll just have to go the route of setting up a video capture computer with BD burner.  Lots to learn here!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Don

• 8. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner

Hi Don,

Curious why the big interest in Blu-ray? I was an early adopter and have been profoundly disappointed in the total lack of interest from clients, and I hear this echoed across the country via online forums. Not everyone has a Blu-ray player, and even if they do, they would likely be just as happy if you hand them a DVD...that everyone can play. So why do shut-ins need Blu-ray? Have you considered live streaming for shut-ins? To me it is creating a bunch of extra work and expense when DVD will suffice. Just been my own experience...

Thanks

Jeff

• 9. Re: Realtime video capture to Blu-ray burner
                        raymondstationmgr

its been a while since this post but lg and sony offer real time hdmi to bluray recorders, they just wont sell them in usa