3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 12:46 PM by davetwo

Saving Multichannel images to import

JPPaisonDesign Level 1

Starting with a grayscale image in Photoshop Extended 12.1 x64 with with eight children standing in a row each holding a placard that has one letter spellling THANK YOU. I changed the mode to multichannel (that gave me one black channel); selected each letter; copied and pasted the letters to the second channel named PMS 186 U; erased the letters from the black channel with the grayscale image. I now want to import this image to my page layout application, QuarkExpress 9.3. My printer told me a PDF or EPS would be fine. Neither was fine. The red letters didn't show up. I tried DCS1.0 and was given files separated into CMYK along with an EPS file (without the letters). I tried DCS2.0 that when opening in Photoshop the letters appear for split second that disappear and it will not import to my layout (unkown error). Can anyone advise me?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Saving Multichannel images to import
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Why did you decide on Multichannel?

A grayscale image with a Spot Channel should work just fine.

Have you tried importing psds?

• 2. Re: Saving Multichannel images to import
            JPPaisonDesign Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply. A call from the printer informed me that my spot channel did not show up during separations. I have no idea why. I ended up having to do a work-around and begin with a CMYK file; delete the C & Y channels and use the M channel for my spot color and the K channel for the grayscale image. That worked fine but I know it should not have to be done that way. I just can't seem to create a file with two spot colors from the beginning. As far as I know QuarkXpress will not import "psds" into a layout that will separate properly. I need to have a lesson from an expert about multichannel files and how they separate properly. Thanks again for your input. Jeff

• 3. Re: Saving Multichannel images to import
              davetwo Level 2

It's been a long while since I used Quark. But +1 for using a cmyk image with a Spot ink channel instead of Multichannel. (Make a new CMYK doc, copy your Greyscale image into the K channel, your PMS channel into a new Dedicated Spot channel and save as DCS2). DCS2 has a horrible preview mode but should print perfectly.