Does this happen with any file with a signature field, or just one file? Also, is this an unsigned signature field (you are clicking on it to initiate the signing operation), or, is is a signed field (you are clicking on it to validate the signature)?
Yes, this happens with any file with a signature field. And yes, it with an unsigned signature field, I am clicking on it to initiate the signing operation.
Here's something to try, but first make sure Acrobat is closed:
- Run regedit (In Win XP you select Start > Run and then type in "regedit", and in Win 7 click the start button and type in in the Search field).
- If you get a dialog asking if you are sure you want to make changes to the computer click the Yes button.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\9.0
- Expand the tree under 9.0 and select Security
- Select the File > Export menu item and save the file to your Desktop (the name you give the file doesn't matter)
- With Security still selected (highlighted) select the Edit > Delete menu item
- Launch Acrobat, open a file with a signature field and see what happens when you try to sign
Let me know if that worked or not.
Followed your instructions. Now instead of just closing, an error message pops up saying
"Adobe Acrobat has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."
After closing the message, a pop up says:
"Adobe Acrobat 9.2 was closed to help protect your computer. Data Execution has closed Adobe Acrobat 9.2. Click to learn more."
So I solved the problem! First I went to Uninstall Programs and selected Uninstall then Repair. That didn't work. So I completely uninstalled both Acrobat 9.0 and Reader 9.2 and then just reinstalled Acrobat 9.0. Voila! Fixed the problem.