10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 6:34 AM by Jim Curtis

Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade

tylermcleod Level 1

I just got Premiere Pro almost a week ago after using FCP for years. I was just getting accustomed to it and thought I would upgrade my RAM to help Dynamic Link run smoother. I doubled it from 4 GB to 8 GB today and now Premiere Pro crashes either immediately or after about 20 minutes. My computer is a 2009 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz. The new ram is from OWC.com. I ran a RAM test in Tech Tools and it passed as having no problems. Can anyone suggest anything? I would hate to have to go back to 4 GB and be limited to that.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
          shooternz Level 6

Maybe a heat issue.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
            tylermcleod Level 1

If I let my computer rest for an hour the open Premiere fresh after a boot up, it crashes immediately. Not a heat issue.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

No need to get so antagonistic with someone who is trying to help.  I deleted the inappropriate part of your post.

Jeff

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though the RAM tested good, do the sticks match the originals 100%?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                  tylermcleod Level 1

The specs do, but the RAM is from OWC. A little update from last night, I went back to my original RAM and got an error message after an hour so I guess that (for the most part) eliminates the new RAM as the culprit, which is odd because the problem started after installing it.

I cleared PRAM each time I changed the RAM out.

After returning the original RAM to the machine and receiving an error message, I have since done a reinstall of CS6, I left Premiere open all night and recieved no error messages. This is a good sign because sometimes the errors were coming up when I wasn't even using the computer, like if I was doing something else on my desk for a few minutes.

As of now, it's seeming as if a reinstall has fixed the issue. I will update if not. I did a lot of research on this last night and never found a common cause for this "serious error" so hopefully it's history. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for the replies.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hope that IS the "fix."

Good luck, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                      tylermcleod Level 1

UPDATE:

This problem is not fixed at all. I went about 2 hours without a crash then had about 5 of them in a row. I have been reading everywhere trying to find a place to start. A full system rebuild and reinstall would take me a day or 2 that I don't have. The crashes happen any time, sometimes at startup, sometimes when I'm editing, sometimes when I am not doing anything. I get the "serious error" message and sometimes just get a "quit unexpectedly" along with this log:

Process:     Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
                      Path:        /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
                      Identifier:  com.adobe.AdobePremierePro
                      Version:     6.0.2 (6.0.2)

Parent Process:  launchd [171]

User ID:     501

Date/Time:   2013-01-17 17:42:42.309 -0800
                      OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:      77432 sec
                      Crashes Since Last Report:       60064

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  32612 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   9

Crashed Thread:  2  Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager

Model: MacBookPro5,1, BootROM MBP51.007E.B06, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.33f8

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, PCIe, 256 MB

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x857F, 0x483634353155363446373036364700000000

Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM1, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x857F, 0x483634353155363446373036364700000000

AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.81.22)

Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0

Serial ATA Device: ST95005620AS, 500.11 GB

Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-868

USB Device: Built-in iSight, apple_vendor_id, 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2

USB Device: Hub in Apple Extended USB Keyboard, apple_vendor_id, 0x1003, 0x06200000 / 2

USB Device: Apple Extended USB Keyboard, apple_vendor_id, 0x020b, 0x06230000 / 3

USB Device: Apple Optical USB Mouse, apple_vendor_id, 0x0304, 0x04100000 / 4

USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 3

USB Device: IR Receiver, apple_vendor_id, 0x8242, 0x04500000 / 2

FireWire Device: GoFlex Desk Mac, Seagate, 800mbit_speed

FireWire Device: d2 Quadra v3, LaCie, 800mbit_speed

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                        Jim Curtis Level 3

No need to post entire crash logs here.  Hardly anybody besides engineers can understand them, the crash culprit is usually indicted by line 10, and you're going to deter people from scrolling down.  Yes, we're that lazy (Some of us, anyway).

Try deleting your Pr prefs, your caches and your previews, in that order if you have time to experiment.  If no luck, start a new project with different footage to rule out a corrupt project or footage.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                          tylermcleod Level 1

Oh OK. I can't fingure out how to delete it now. Shucks. I have tried trashing prefs, cache, and preview files and tried new projects. Nothing is getting at it so far.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 crashing after RAM upgrade
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

Deleting those usually gets rid of the frequent "Serious Error" for me.  Once I was able to stop them by re-installing my nVidia drivers.

Here's a long shot:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1065632

Try going to your Energy Saver prefs, and switch from Better Performance or Longer Battery Life, whichever is opposite to what your existing setting is.  That might rule out a graphics card as the issue.

Another thing I do, possibly pointless, is to Force Quit Pr when I get a crash screen, instead of clicking OK.  At least that saves some time from having Pr write a possibly corrupted new project file.  I also am now in the habit of saving every few edits, so when it does crash, I don't lose much work.  However, Pr doesn't crash as much for me as it did before I upgraded to 10.7.5 and the latest nVidia drivers.

I run Pr on a MacPro with 32G RAM and a CUDA card, so as our hardware is pretty different, the experience of frequent Serious Errors seems to be a more broad-based Mac user plague.  Check out the Serious Error threads here.  There have been thousands of posts on the subject, with not a clear single cause coming to light.  Frustrating, to be sure.