10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 9:35 AM by JGrabowMST

Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?

JGrabowMST

I just build a new workstation for heavy High Def video editing, and I need it to be fast, so I need to it to not only be powerful, but compatible.

I know that the Premiere Pro compatibility page lists only nVidia Quadro cards, and certain ATI cards in MacBook Pros. Other than the "it must be obvious" partnership between nVidia and Adobe, will any Firepro series workstation cards ever be qualified?

It looks like I've got no choice but to get a Quadro 2000, but that's a real letdown, considering the price range also includes the Firepro W5000, which to put it softly, is a much more powerful card.

Considering the rest of my machine is a dual Xeon 6 Core, and a 250gb Velociraptor, knowing that I have no choice in my price range other than a pretty weak GPU, can anyone say that Adobe will change this? Investing so much development into just the CUDA platform doesn't leave any room for system builders to give customers any options, and knowing that faster cards are out there, it's a bummer. Not even digging into the GPU power, the Firepro has 2gb of RAM, and the Quadro has 1gb of RAM. The price difference is $30 where I'm looking at it, and the performance difference goes way deeper than just that.

I like Adobe's Premiere Pro way better than Apple's Final Cut Pro system, but I'm sure the Mercury Engine could be more than capable of using a Firepro series as well. Since I just invested a lot of money (for a college student) into Adobe's software, is there anything Adobe can do for me?

I'm holding off on making any purchases towards a graphics card right now, because I want to get one that suits my needs, and I'd love to get a more official response about this if at all possible.

Thanks in advanced,

James

• 1. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With what you describe, your needs are pretty basic:

a 250gb Velociraptor

If that is the only disk in your system, you are OK for SD DV material. But you continue:

for heavy High Def video editing

You will be disappointed, but then the single disk is not enough.

For the video card, consider a GTX 660 Ti / 670 / 680 card. Forget about Quadro. Overpriced and underspecced.

You do have 32+ GB memory, right?

Details are sorely needed to help you.

• 2. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
            JGrabowMST Level 1

I work at a computer shop, and I have been working in multimedia since I have started college. The 250gb Velociraptor is for the OS + Applications only. All video files are stored on separate internal or external drives of FW800 or USB3.0. I have been doing video editing for going on 7 years now, and know my stuff well enough about computers to say that the 250gb drive is not the only one in my computer.

Simply put, the only thing the nVidia cards have over anything else is the "Cuda cores" and my question is why Adobe Mercury Engine is only compatible with Cuda, and not other workstation graphics cards.

I'd rather have the Firepro W5000 over anything else.

In order to fit a two slot GPU in my computer, I would have to change other components, which is on the to-do list, but the Firepro series is 1 slot, and will suffice until I have enough downtime to tear apart the computer and replace coolers again. Going for a large GTX series is not a good option for me considering how the computer is built.

• 3. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>question is why Adobe Mercury Engine is only compatible with Cuda

While there are a "very few" Adobe employees who sometimes read/post here, the vast majority of people here are other users

Which means we have NO idea why programming decisions are made... so I don't think another user will be able to answer that question

For a list of supported nVidia CUDA cards go to the CUDA help page - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/773101 which is NOT just Quadro cards

Other nVidia cards may be used with the "hack" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file - and Mac http://www.vidmuze.com/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

• 4. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

why Adobe Mercury Engine is only compatible with Cuda, and not other workstation graphics cards.

Timing, more than anything.  nVidia's CUDA was a finished spec when Adobe started development on GPU acceleration, and nVidia was very willing to work with Adobe on that development.  Since then, the OpenCL specification has been finalized and Adobe has expanded into OpenCL acceleration.  There is the possibility that OpenCL support will expand in future versions to include not only more cards, but also the Windows version.  But as Adobe is a publicly traded company, they have rules limiting what and when they can disclose new products/features.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
                  JGrabowMST Level 1

This information is very helpful. I'm wondering, if Adobe has expanded into OpenCL acceleration, will any OpenCL card work, or is it still a closed system that requires CUDA?

• 6. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?

>I'm wondering

As Jim & I both said... nobody who posts here knows Adobe's plans (or is allowed to say, if they want to keep their job or position as a Beta tester)

>will any OpenCL card work

The Cuda help page link I provided has a link to the system requirements page... which shows TWO specific AMD cards, with certain Mac computers

My best guess is that AMD will, someday, be added for Windows... but that is only a GUESS

• 7. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
                      JGrabowMST Level 1

Those graphics cards are in laptops, not for desktop computers. I have the 2011 MacBook Pro that has the 6750M in it. I assure you, I can't use it with my desktop.

I'm not asking about Adobe's top secret misson critical plans, I'm asking: If the software is designed around OpenCL, can I use any OpenCL compatible card.

I realize that the compatibility list is only what they've tested, and otherwise, they haven't gone out on a limb to test anything extra, or say much about it.

This is becoming much more complicated than it needs to be.

• 8. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?

>can I use any OpenCL compatible card

For a desktop... no

• 9. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

At the Time when the MPE engine was developed CUDA was far more developed and there for far easier to work with for Adobe than Open CL. Adobe stated at that time the GPU acceleration with AMD/ATi and Open CL was no where close to what they required to get the performance CUDA brought to the table. As it stands now the Open CL support is in it's infancy with MAC Platform only and limited at that. If you want the Hardware MPE engine you require an Nvidia card. It's that simple.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Does anyone know if/when hardware gets qualified?
                            JGrabowMST Level 1

Thanks for the answers, now it makes sense. I'm going for the GTX660ti 2gb with aftermarket cooling. Should be more than enough to start off for a while.