8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 10:50 AM by SaamIam Branched to a new discussion.

Master page shift

Alta Graph

When I insert or delete pages from some documents in InDesign CS6, my master pages shift and have to be reset. Why?

• 1. Re: Master page shift
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

We need more information.  Facing or non-facing pages? How many pages are you inserting or delting at one time? What do you mean by "shift"?

• 2. Re: Master page shift
            Alta Graph Level 1

Facing. The master pages shift to the gutter and overlap.

• 3. Re: Master page shift

Please turn off or delete the autoquote when replying by email.

Do you mean the master pages switch sides across the gutter? That is normal if you have facing pages and add or remove an odd number of pages anywher except at the end of the file. If you mean something else we're going to need a screen shot or two.

• 4. Re: Master page shift
                Alta Graph Level 1

The page hedings and page numbering that is on the master pages shifts to the gutter and overlap. They are not switching sides.

• 5. Re: Master page shift

Post some screen shots, please.

And tell us if you are adding deleting in multiples of 2.

• 6. Re: Master page shift
                    Alta Graph Level 1

Correct Proof Page 12-13.jpgIncorrect Proof Page 10-11.jpg

I'm inserting or deleting single pages. The first image is as layed out. The second is with inserting a single page. Never had this problem before. I'm laying out the pages as spreads as in a book.

• 7. Re: Master page shift

Have you used the Page tool at all in this file?

We've seen some similar shifts a couple of times before that seem to be a bug. That said, I would try exporting the file to .idml and see if it makes a difference. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

You might also want to try moving the pages into a new file.

• 8. Re: Master page shift
                        SaamIam

Do you mean the master pages switch sides across the gutter? That is normal if you have facing pages and add or remove an odd number of pages anywhere except at the end of the file. If you mean something else we're going to need a screen shot or two.

Hi Peter,

What would be the quickest action to take if you do have to delete an odd number of pages that's not at the end of the file? I commonly work on large-page-count books for my job, and often a page in the middle of the book has to be deleted because the item is being discontinued or something. If I have a 60 page document, but one page has to be deleted in the middle, how can I do that without messing up the background art? I put my background art on the master file, but if I delete a page, it shifts about 1/8" and doesn't reach the bleed lines. A mock-up screenshot is attached as an example.

Also, if this helps: what I commonly do for these large books is set up the background art, our standard company information at the bottom of the page, and a table of information all on the master spread. Then when I make new pages, the layout is already set up and the information is there. I can just Override the Master Page items and edit the text. Is it the Override option that's causing the background art to shift?2017-04-30 13_25_14-_Untitled-1 @ 75%.png