16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 4:17 PM by El_Plates

Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?

Abobedoobie Level 1

Not sure if harm will see this but any to all : is there somewere with all of harms bios settings for his over clock? I did find this one: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/final-results?showall=&limitstart= but it only got a few of the settings - its just I got a asus p9x79 pro and a 3930k similar to him and I am finding the OCing a bit tricky - just would be nice to reference somone that has done it.

I am most of the way there - can get 4.9 ghz out of it in auto tune but for some reason the auto tune seems to set my RAM down from 1600mhz to about 1300mhz to do it?! A bit bizzare - I did try to set stronger settings in the digi + section but if I press auto tune after applying changes all I get is the CPU auto tune sequence of restarting etc. and at teh end my RAM is about 1300mhz and the CPU 4.7 / 4.9 (different each time I try it) :S . Just would of been nice to get a OC of my RAM as well as the CPU anyway I will be checking this part with asus if they ever answer (didnt get much luck with them last time I tried them).

I have also started manualyOCing and can get about 4.7 on the CPU but the RAM is more tricky as its 1600mhz base...possibly the asus auto tune does not change ratings? tnx.

• 1. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I haven't tried Auto Tune at all, I went for manual settings directly.

If your memory is throttled down to 1333, it means that the XMP settings in the BIOS are overridden by the Auto Tune controls.  Overclocking memory can only be achieved by changing the BCLK settings, but depending on the memory installed, may require manual tuning of the timings. Remember that changing BCLK settings also affect your PCIe bus, so you have to be very careful with changing this.

In my case I use BCLK @ 102.3, so my memory runs at 2133 x 1.023 = 2182 MHz. In your case that would mean 1600 x 1.023 = 1687 MHz.

• 2. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
            Abobedoobie Level 1

Did you set everything up manually or just like the primary timing settings not secondary etc. ? And main voltages like vcore dram etc. ? It would be great to see all your settings if they were online somewhere? But I guess its not up maybe?

Hmm just got the settings to around 1900 mhz 11-11-11-30 and 4.7 seems stable but at 77 C on a few cores with prime 95 :S need to find a sweet spot like you...

ps "Overclocking memory can only be achieved by changing the BCLK settings, but depending on the memory installed, may require manual tuning of the timings" well I can choose 100 blck and 2133mhz as the RAM timing manually but I have not got this stable yet.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
              Abobedoobie Level 1

Soo still not got a full guide but found bits here and there and this is fairly in depth : http://rog.asus.com/136402012/maximus-v-motherboards/maximus-v-formula-overclocking-guide/ 3/ but again once I get to secondary and tertiary settings on the RAM it gets scary !

• 4. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like a nice article.  Will read it later, but to be honest, I never bothered with any settings other than those shown in the picture of the TurboV EVO, so essentially CPU Ratio, BCLK and CPU VCore. Nothing else. It works for me without further adjustments, so why make it complicated?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                  Abobedoobie Level 1

Ah yes true - I suppose I got RAM at 1600 that I wouldnt mind upping unlike your ram already at 2133. Nice to know it can be done with just main settings.

4.7 does seem to be the sweet spot - trying to get 100 BLCK and 47 multiplier to work but temps are around 72 peaking at 74 C on one core even though the others are at 70 grr - might investigate a lower multiplier on that core seperate from others. (room temp : 20 C).

I am actually at 1.290v on Vcore and its not crashed yet after almost 30 mins prime 95 (the readouts from the vcore to peak at just over 1.300 tho)! 1.285 crashed after 10 mins...gradually finding the best spot...thanks...

Edit: ok it just crashed at 1.290v .   Do you use offset mode? Its just I thought maybe manual Vcore could be damaging potentially?

• 6. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                    Abobedoobie Level 1

Ok well stable so far trying 1.300 VCORE if I put the hottest core to 46x instead of 47x it does nothing to temperatures so I guess thats not a solution. I do wonder if prime 95 getting one core to 74 C is a problem as I guess maybes its above what it would get to in adobe applications possibly...so much to test!

Would be good to know if offset mode is worth using or is manual voltage fine (with turbo / stepping on)- want my PC to last 4-5 years at least!

• 7. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                      Abobedoobie Level 1

What did you or anyone else use for stability tests - its just with intels burn test I found if you select 6 threads not 12 it actually stresses it even more and I fial the 'very high' settings around 23 passes. But passes 50 'standard' passes. Maximum setting took like 40 minutes and still had not done one pass so I cancled that as standard settings does one pass in 5 seconds :O !

And so with 6 threads on very high setting i hit 78 C which is not great for a 3930k I am wondering if this test will ever accour again anyway and lots of people on the web say that this test is unreal or will never happen in day to day situations. :S .

Prime 95 also barley hits 73 C but it is using all 12 threads - hmmmm.

So yes what do you guys qualify as stable testing?

• 8. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                        Cocovanna Level 1

Have a look at AIDA64 - it has a 30 day trial period.  78C is a bit high for me, I settle at 70-72 degrees with prime95 and AIDA64 (3930K @4.6GHz)

• 9. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

78C is still well below the throttling threshold for those CPU's which is 90 to 96C depending on the board. If that is the absolute peak then your still ok.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                            Abobedoobie Level 1

Yer I know but its still a bit concerning. I got aida64 - will try the stress test on that. I am on about 74 C on prime but on the simple options u get on start up - I hear you can set it tougher.

I guess the intel burn on very high is a bit unrealistic possibly anyway. Need to compair to real temps while rendering I guess.

I bet you (cocovana) would have higher temps if you try the intel burn like me. What vcore you on?

Im on x46 100blck 1.320 not sure if I can get the temp down any more :( ...tnx

• 11. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Abobedoobie wrote:

I guess the intel burn on very high is a bit unrealistic possibly anyway. Need to compair to real temps while rendering I guess.

It is very easy to get 100% CPU utilization across all threads if you turn off the GPU acceleration in a Premiere timeline encode if it is rich in MPE demanding effects and features. That is what I use and it is real world.

• 12. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                                El_Plates Level 1

Is there a way to monitor the temperatures without going into the Bios ?

My question is obviously a Noob question, but it's a question I must ask, as I wish not to damage my PC's components.

I'm currently setting-up a similar PC to Adobedoobie's; with a i7-3930k on a ASUS P9X79-PRO.

• 13. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

HWMonitor or Speedfan.

• 14. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                                    Abobedoobie Level 1

Bill : yes but some programs stress the CPU at 100 % but the temperature can be more than 10 C different I have seen intel burn seems to do something crazy harsh but fluctuates - deffinatly the harshes tester at the exact cores very high and above I guess etc...

And yes I use HWmonitor : http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and Real temp but they appear to show pretty much the same temps : http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

AIDA64 stress test is only getting my cores to 61 C :O by the way!

What temperatures are you getting Harm or did you get before?

Just out of interest here are my digi+ settings :

20130123_115715_Richmond_St[1].jpg

20130123_115656_Richmond_St[1].jpg

I was thinking I could get temps down with it but its not stable if I lower some of these settings...

• 15. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My favorite is RealTemp (run the included RealTemp GT for Hex cores). Give you Min/Max core temps, CPU usage and GPU temperature

• 16. Re: Harms settings for asus p9x79 - ?
                                        El_Plates Level 1

I'll try both RealTemp, and HWMonitor on my old computer before trying either on the new PC.

Having never overclocked a computer before, I must take a cautious approach.