6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 1:25 PM by Dave LaRonde

prores

lemon crackers

Can I import a prores file, make changes and export in prores on a windows pc with after effects cs6.

• 1. Re: prores
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really. ProRes is not natively available for Encoding on Windows. you would eitehr would have to use ffmpeg's faulty implementation or buy a certain commercial CoDec whose name eludes me... Simply use other intermediate CoDecs or image sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: prores
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, but no, you can't render ProRes QT's without buying some sort of third-party codec pack, which may be worth your while.

With a free plugin downloadable from Apple, Quicktime 7 for Windows can READ files in the ProRes family of codecs.  However, the ability to WRITE to them is limited to those who have Final Cut Pro... which doesn't run on Windows machines.  Or those who bought the third-party codec pack.

If money is tight, all is not lost -- you can render in a different and lossless Quicktime codec like PNG or Animation.  Of the two, I vote for PNG.

• 3. Re: prores
              lemon crackers Level 1

Thanks Dave, Am I better off just converting the file to mpeg and after convert back to pro res or will I losse quality? Jeff

• 4. Re: prores
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Avoid Mpeg!  Avoid H.264!  Both are lossy!  If image quality is important, stick with a lossless codec.

• 5. Re: prores
                  lemon crackers Level 1

So just to confirm, I can import and make changes to the file, but I would have to render in another codec. Will I loose quality?

• 6. Re: prores
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

No, you will not lose quality. 

The recipient will be forced to either 1) transcode to ProRes or 2) render the clips in the FCP edit timeline, but neither option will hurt the image quality on his/her end.  Quicktime's PNG codec also supports alpha channels: a big plus.