4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 3:14 PM by Lavistacoc

Updating Template Files not Updating all Attached Files

Lavistacoc

I have a site with about 9,000 pages. I have a main template with a number of nested templates for various sections of the site. When I make a change in the main template one particular section does not get updated. If I force a change in the nested template for that section only about 40 out of the 900 files get updated. If I open the template for a file not updated, I get the correct template and it shows the change I made. If I update the template for that one page, it gets properly updated. If I ask for all files with that template to be updated, again I only get about 30 to 40 files updated (each time it is a slightly different subset -- a few at the beginning of the folder and a few at the end). Rebuilding the site cache makes no difference. Going through and manually updating 850 files one at at time is an absolute pain in the wrists! Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Updating Template Files not Updating all Attached Files
          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

None you would want to hear unfortunately. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with DW templates.

They're great for small sites, but I would never attempt to use DW templates on anything even remotely close to the size of your site simply due to what you describe, especially with nested templates (never a good idea in DW), and the amount of time needed to upload that large of a site after a simple color change or navigation addition.

Converting your site to use a pair of php template files is a much, much simpler workflow. With php, you can update two files (an "everything before the content" and an "everything after the content" file), upload those two files and have all of your 9000 pages taken care of instantly on the server.

• 2. Re: Updating Template Files not Updating all Attached Files
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Jon,

Don't you just love e-mail auto responders? 

@Lavistacoc,

9,000 static web pages, oy vey!  Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

DW Templates were never intended to support such a huge load.  I rarely use Templates but when I do, I caution clients to keep their site under 50 pages or go dynamic.

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: Updating Template Files not Updating all Attached Files
              Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Nancy,

Yep, I was going to post a "no I won't click" in an overly dramatic way but decided against it. It's late in the day and I'm getting a little punchy.

@Lavistacoc,

Using a database, as Nancy suggests, to store content is a bit more involved than my suggestion above, but it is also a better way to do it.

• 4. Re: Updating Template Files not Updating all Attached Files
                Lavistacoc Level 1

My apologies for the responder. I didn't know the email address responses would come in on.

Sigh! Using PHP templates and a database would make life easier in the future. I wouldn't even have to keep paying for Dreamwever then, any old HTML editor would do. I've been putting it off because pushing the contents of 9,000 and growing files into a database will consume quite a bit of time. Well, if nothing better is suggested I guess I'll take that route later this year.