2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 3:01 AM by Peter Spier

Placing from Photoshop to InDesign is changing colors of object

RockoFaith Level 1

I can't find anywhere on the Internet, through about an hour of searching now why my vibrant sRGB objects I made in photoshop look so drab when I place them in an InDesign file.

I don't know if it's being changed from RGB to CMYK...I've tried a few different options from suggestions I found online that sounded like it might be the solution...but am still left with dead looking images.

This is an example of how it looks like in photoshop

Electric-Car.jpg

And then what it looks like when I place it into an InDesign Document

Electric-Car-iD.jpg

So, I don't know what's going on or why the color has to be changed like this...but hopefully one of you gurus can tell me how to fix this!

The problem I have is that I created a brochure entirely in photoshop and I really don't like how the text gets pixelated when blown up or how it can't be selected if need be...so I'm recreating the brochure in InDesign...but this whole color change issue is really perturbing me!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oh...and if there is a link somewhere out there that says how to make InDesign brochures so that the graphics show up sharp without taking up a ton of memory so the pdf's can be emailed...that would be awesome!

• 1. Re: Placing from Photoshop to InDesign is changing colors of object
          tman69 Level 3

in InDesign--set transparency blend space to RGB (note: if you plan to have this brochure offset printed--use CMYK color space for images)

to reduce file size--try exporting as PDFX1a (preset)

• 2. Re: Placing from Photoshop to InDesign is changing colors of object
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

tman69 wrote:

to reduce file size--try exporting as PDFX1a (preset)

In this case, that's probably NOT a good plan. PDF/X-1a converts everything to CMYK and only downsamples images above 450 ppi and then only to 300 ppi. It's meant for press. For email I personally would start with the [High Quailty Print] preset, then use the PDF optimizer in Acrobat Pro to flatten the transparency and downsample the images, to 150 ppi to start, but you may need to go further, and to throw out most of the extraeoous document info your readers don't need (basically check every box except the one to unembed fonts). I think the flattening in Acrobat is better than flattening in ID during export and most of the rest is only available in the PDF optimzer. If you don't have Acrobat Pro, try the Smallest File Size preset in ID.

Keep in mind that there is ALWAYS a tradeoff between file size and image quality. You are shooting for a middle ground.