10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 8:27 PM by yetti000

Is my video card slowing me down?

yetti000 Level 1

I finally sourced the last few elements for a major overhaul and I thought it would do the trick. Playback for items not yet rendered is chopping and video tiles sometimes will be chopping depending on the file size. I'm confident it's my video that is outdated but I'm not entirely sure. With premiere pro running, HD videos on youtube sometimes freeze. I'm also getting a black screen with some websites.

My current set-up:

Case: Lian Li PC-B25

Power: Corsair HX650W

Motherboard: Sabertooth X79

CPU: Intel Core I7 3.6GHz 3820

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w/ extra fan:

Ram: 2x4GB G.Skills Ripjaws X Series 1866 (Latency: 8)

Graphics Card: 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX

Graphics Card Cooler: ZALMAN VF1000

Hard Drive (Primary): 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Hard Drive (Secondary): 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.8

System: Windows 8 Pro

Windows Score:

Processor: 8

Memory: 8

Graphics: 6.8

Gaming graphics: 6.8

Primaey Hard Disk: 8.1

System 
      ManufacturerSystem manufacturer
      ModelSystem Product Name
      Total amount of system memory8.00 GB RAM
      System type64-bit operating system
      Number of processor cores4
      Storage 
      Total size of hard disk(s)1591 GB
      Disk partition (C:)36 GB Free (119 GB Total)
      Disk partition (D:)147 GB Free (233 GB Total)
      Disk partition (E:)7 GB Free (932 GB Total)
      Disk partition (F:)21 GB Free (75 GB Total)
      Disk partition (G:)42 GB Free (233 GB Total)
      Graphics 
      Display adapter typeNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
      Total available graphics memory4095 MB
            Dedicated graphics memory768 MB
            Dedicated system memory0 MB
            Shared system memory3327 MB
      Display adapter driver version9.18.13.1090
      Secondary monitor resolution1280x1024
      Primary monitor resolution1920x1080
      DirectX versionDirectX 10
        • 1. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You confuse me a bit:

Total size of hard disk(s)1591 GB

Disk partition (C:)36 GB Free (119 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:)147 GB Free (233 GB Total)

Disk partition (E:)7 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Disk partition (F:)21 GB Free (75 GB Total)

Disk partition (G:)42 GB Free (233 GB Total)

I assume the C: drive is the Samsung SSD, D: is the 250 GB Seagate Barracuda, E: is an unmentioned 1 TB disk that is dead slow because of the fill rate. The same applies to the G: drive, which is another 250 GB drive, also dead slow.

What is the F: drive? An old 80 GB drive?

General rule:  If your disks go beyond 60 - 70% fill rate, get more disk space or clean up.

Your disks are all (with the exception of C:) extremely full and suffer serious performance degradation, due to that. Your SSD is also much more filled than one would expect. Have you removed the hyberfil.sys file? For instance your Barracuda 7200.8 disk is a very old architecture and may reach a transfer rate of 80 MB/s when freshly formatted, but with a fill rate of around 65% you will have maybe 55 MB/s transfer rate. Your 1 TB drive may not achieve more than 40 MB/s. A modern Barracuda 7200.14 can easily achieve 150 MB/s.

Your very limited amount of memory, only 8 GB does not help either.

Your video card is not capable of using hardware acceleration at all, so you are locked to software MPE. Depending on your editing needs and workflow, it may slow you down by a factor X where X can be as high as 15 times.

• 2. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
            yetti000 Level 1

Woah! I didn't notice how consumed my SSD was until you pointed it out. I just put the system together last month and only have program files on it (Drive C). There must be some massive backup files that I need to get rid of. I haven't removed the hyberfil.sys file yet - thanks for the reminder!

Drive D was only seeing consistent transfer speeds of around 6MB/s when moving footage from Drive F to Drive D - upgrading this drive is second to last on my TO-DO list just before moving to a better video card.

Drives E, F, and G are all portable drives that I forgot to mention - the 1 Tb was for movies but will soon be for old project files.

I'm thinking either the Seagate SV35 series or WD Black to replace Drive D. Western Digital's warranty is more appealing but seeing as how my Seagate drive has lasted 8 years, I'm stuck in between the two.

Anyone looking for an 8800gtx? I have one for sale

• 3. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>only have program files on it (Drive C).

So, you have redirected your temp files as described in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                yetti000 Level 1

Shoot, didn't even think about those temp project files caching in the program directory. I'll get on both of these items tonight and check back.

In the meantime, I just ordered a Radeon HD 7870 LE (Myst Edition). Finally, HDMI connectivity!

• 5. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Cancel that order immediately!!!

Instead get a nVidia GeForce GTX 660 or better. Around the same price, but it allows using hardware MPE, giving up to 15 times speed increases. Includes a HDMI port and can steer up to 4 monitors.

• 6. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

I agree with Harm, in this case. The Windows version of Premiere Pro CS6 supports CUDA only for GPU acceleration (no OpenCL support whatsoever). And no AMD Radeon GPU supports CUDA at all (Radeons support only OpenCL for application-based GPU acceleration). In other words, Adobe and AMD are on completely different pages altogether when it comes to MPE GPU acceleration in Windows.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                      yetti000 Level 1

They dropped it to shipping already but said they'd waive the restocking fee as long as the box is unopened. After further analysis, you are definitely correct and I finally accept defeat.

Anyone want to have a final say before I pull the trigger on a 2GB Galaxy GTX 670 GC (V2)?

• 8. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                        yetti000 Level 1

New Video card should arrive tommorrow.

Question about RAM.

Deciding between the 3:

G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM)

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (CML16GX3M4X1600C7)

Kingston HyperX 16GB (KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX)

I remember reading somewhere that the HyperX has better overclocking capabilities.

FYI, these all have a latency of 7.

• 9. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

From the codes you supplied, the Kingston appears to have CAS Latency 9. Anyway, overclocking memory on a X79 motherboard, in contrast to using XMP, boils down to changing the BCLK settings, something not for the faint of heart and it will only work up to several % points. The benefit is rather marginal and may require manual settings of the timings. For most not worth the effort.

• 10. Re: Is my video card slowing me down?
                            yetti000 Level 1

Sorry about that, you are correct.

I'll probably go with the G.Skill unless otherwise opposed.

Also, just ordered one of these at their good price of $85 w/free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533