5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 11:28 PM by Thomas_MSchnegg

The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys

Thomas_MSchnegg

Hello,

I have a problem that I fear can't be resolved. Sometimes, when I try to load a query in the Find/Change dialog box that searches for a specific language, I get a warning and then my query gets loaded as usual except every formatting attributes get erased! If I understand the warning correctly, it says that the formatting attributes I'm looking for don't exist in the current document and asks me if I wish to continue. It's fine that it tells me that the attribute doesn't exist, but why does InDesign erase all the formatting attributes? That's a big problem as I'm using some of these querys with Multi-Find/Change plugin from Automatication (http://www.automatication.com/index.php?id=12). I can't risk the formatting attributes getting erased and my query being applied to all of my text!

I hope this is clear enough, if not, maybe the images below will help:

query_error1.jpg

query_error2.jpg

query_error3.jpg

Please help!

• 1. Re: The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys
          David W. Goodrich Level 3

On my main machine with fully-patched IDCS4, Find/Change sometimes refuses to register an attribute I select.  I frequently use the language attribute, but other attributes have also failed, and in English-language CS4 I don't even get a warning message like yours.  I usually go do something in the text, try again, and it works; occasionally I re-start ID.

When I do see a warning message like yours, it is associated with a saved search.  I've always assumed that the message was warning me about a character or paragraph style that I saved with the search for another document but which isn't available for the current doc.  I usually go ahead and continue quand même.

David

• 2. Re: The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I wonder if you'd have better reults if you used ~{ to search for the left double quote as it is language agnostic.

• 3. Re: The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Typically, you would get this warning when the saved query specifies a document-only attribute that's not in your current document. I encounter this (annyoing) feature/bug when I try to automatically replace Symbol bullets with 'actual' bullets. If the current document doesn't contain anything in Symbol, the logic in the Saved Query list fails, and you get the warning pop-up.

find-missing.PNG

... If I press "Yes" to Continue Anyway, the "Symbol" specification gets removed.

Can you check if this warning also pops up when you do have some text marked as "Italian"? Because that should not be happening.

• 4. Re: The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys
                Thomas_MSchnegg Level 1

It would work in this specific example but I have other queries where this solution doesn't apply

• 5. Re: The language property gets erased in some Find/Replace querys
                  Thomas_MSchnegg Level 1

Indeed, if I have some text marked as italian in my document, then I don't get any warning and the attributes remain.

Here's Martinho da Gloria (Automatication's MFC plugin developper) thought on the subject:

I doubt that Adobe support would be capable to give you an explanation.

I had a closer look at the this problem.

That's purely a bug, actually that's something Adobe Engineers have not thought thru.

The language is added to the Find/Change query spelled using the language of your InDesign.

So if you have an English version of InDesign the query will add to the language field:  "Italian" and your case in French: "Italien".

When you try to run a query over a document made with an italian version of InDesign, somehow the  language string don't match.

Basically you will have "Italian" versus "Italien", and InDesign Find/Change engine will throw a warning  message.

Normally I would expect  InDesign keep the code of the language rather than the language string itself.

Hope this makes sense…

For the moment, my temporarily solution is to just not search for any language and run the queries manually on portions of text…

Thanks anyway for all your answers.