19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 9:26 PM by Silkrooster RSS

ATI Catalyst 13.1 - Not Good with Photoshop CS6 13.0.1

Noel Carboni Community Member

I installed Catalyst 13.1 last night.

On Windows 7 x64 and Photoshop CS6 13.0.1  I still see the GPU-based color-management issue noted in this thread:

Some workarounds: 

• Configure Photoshop to Basic GPU mode and wait for a Photoshop update to potentially fix it so Normal or Advanced mode can be used again.
      • Uninstall Catalyst 13.1 and install 12.8 specifically (which works okay with Photoshop CS6).  After testing a bit further this is probably what I'm going to do.

There may be a problem with the reporting of the VRAM size to Photoshop.  I'm not sure what's up, but I have 2GB of VRAM on my ATI 7850, and 2GB was the full amount reported to Photoshop by Catalyst 12.8.  With Catalyst 13.1 in place, however, I see the following.  Worse yet, the number seems to vary.

Also, there seems to be a problem now with the implementation of the Windows power policy - specifically the power-down of the monitors on inactivity.  They do power-down when left idle, but then they power back up again in a few moments.

I have not found a workaround for this issue yet, save for punching the actual power buttons on the monitors.

I found no speed increase or other compelling reason to upgrade to 13.1 in any case.  I think that release must be all about gaming and nothing more.

My recommendation, at least until Adobe releases an update that works around the color black-out problem, is to avoid updating to Catalyst 13.1.