12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 10:23 AM by Jim_Simon

'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

PierreLouisBeranek Level 1

Is there any way to cut to Multicam camera angles using keyboard shortcuts when the Timeline or Program monitor are the active windows?

As far as I can tell, the Multicam keyboard shortcuts for "Cut to Camera #" only work properly when the Multi-Camera window is active, which seriously hinders my workflow.  These shortcuts only have an effect in the Timeline if a clip is selected, but then instead of cutting to the new camera angle, it replaces the whole clip to the selected camera angle.  Can others confirm this behavior?

I imagine that this is a bug since I can't conceive of why it would have been programmed like this on purpose.

If there is a way around this, please let me know!  If not, I'll send Adobe a Bug Report and encourage others to do the same so that the get this fixed asap.

• 1. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's not a bug.  Multicam cutting is designed to be done from the multicam window.

• 2. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

Hi Jim,

I did some investigating and found this out:

The Select Camera # shortcuts are located under Application in the Keyboard Shortcuts... pannel, and therefore work wether the Timeline or Multi-Camera window is active.

The Cut to Camera # shortcuts are located in the Multi-Camera Monitor Panel, and therefore only work when the Multi-Camera window is active.

So you're right, this isn't a bug... just very bad UI design IMO.  Multi-camera cutting should be available from the Timeline and Program Monitor for the following BIG reason:

• When reviewing an edited Multi-camera sequence, making a new/different camera cut would be much quicker and easier if it could be made without the need to select the Multi-Camera window first... every... single... time... only to then select the Timeline again to continue playback after the fix is made... every... single... time...

What a nuissance!

I've just discovered something that IS a Bug, however.  This screen grab should be self explanatory.  Too bad Adobe's Bug Report/Feature Request page doesn't allow the sending of supporting material such as this picture.

Wrong Warning.jpg

All this time I didn't have access to these two functions in the Multi-camera window because I heeded this warning.  Ignoring it and finding out that the function can work in both the Timeline and Multi-Camera window at the same time is a happy discovery indeed!

• 3. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't need to change a camera angle from the multicam window.  Once the cut is done, you can change angles right from the sequence.  If you need to make additional cuts first, the normal cut options still work.

• 4. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

I just posted the following FR:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: "Cut to Camera #" shortcut available from Timeline and Program Monitor.

How would you like the feature to work?

The "Cut to Camera #" keyboard shortcuts should be available from the Timeline and Program Monitor for the following BIG reason:

• When reviewing an edited Multi-camera sequence in the Timeline/Program Monitor, making a new/different camera cut would be much quicker and easier if it could be made without the need to select the Multi-Camera window first... every... single... time... only to then select the Timeline/Program Monitor again to continue playback after the fix is made... every... single... time...

Why is this feature important to you?

The "Select Camera #" shortcuts are available from the Timeline, not just the Multi-Camera window, so why should the "Cut to Camera #" shortcuts only be available from the Multi-Camera window?  This results in a poor workflow and a lot of editor frustration.  Please fix this!  Thank you.

Agree? Please post your own FR for this here!: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=EWQQL

• 5. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

Hi Jim,

If I understand what you're saying correctly, then yes, you can do the same thing in the Timeline, but it's a 3 step process instead of a single keyboard shortcut:

1. cut clip with Razor tool or 'Add Edit' shortcut
                  2. select partial clip to be changed
                  3. change selected clip with 'Select Camera #' shortcut

Using the shortcut in the Multi-Camera window is also a tedious 3 step process:

1. select Multi-Camera window
                  2. use 'Cut to Camera #' shortcut
                  3. select Timeline or Program monitor to continue playback/review of edited multi-camera sequence.

Either way, it's 3x the work compared to if the 'Cut to Camera #' were available directly from the Timeline and Program Monitor!  A horrible workflow IMHO!  Having these shortcuts available from the Timeline/Program Monitor wouldn't hurt any editors, and it could potentially help all Multi-camera editors, so why Adobe didn't program it this way to begin with is puzzling at the very least. 

If you were referring to another faster way of cutting to another camera in the Timeline, then please share!

• 6. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Nope, that's the way.  I don't make enough mistakes during the first pass for me to worry about it, though.  I might make two or three changes over an hour program.

• 7. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
                      shooternz Level 6

Nope, that's the way.  I don't make enough mistakes during the first pass for me to worry about it, though.  I might make two or three changes over an hour program.

Wow!  You should be a live broadcast director or vision switcher.

• 8. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I am actually.  I do a lot of live shows, including switching.

• 9. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

Hi Jim, wow, 2-3 changes over an hour program?  That's amazing!

In my case, I need to make hundreds of changes and tweaks.  That's because I'm editing a ballet show and have to contend with the fact that none of the cameramen have the benefit of seeing the production before the actual shoot, which results in many camera mistakes that have to be creatively hidden (sucks but that's the way it is), and amateur ballet dancers that make many mistakes that I try to cover up with alternate camera angles (impossible to notice and avoid during a live edit), and on top of it all I have to cut to the music and to the ballet steps themselves so that it all flows.

With that in mind, the workflow I'm suggesting (i.e. 'Cut to Camera #' working from the Timeline and Program Monitor) would probably be 100x more beneficial to my workflow, and all editors with a similar workflow, than yours.  Wish I had a workflow that allowed me to do a live cut with so few mistakes though!

I can't see how adding this functionality would hinder anyone's workflow, it would only help editors work faster.  So fingers crossed that Adobe can fix this in CS6.5!

As for 'Select Camera #' being allowed to have the same shortcuts as 'Cut to Camera #', that would have to change for my suggested workflow to work.  (In the Timeline, users could use 1,2,3 for 'Cut to Camera #' and Shift 1,2,3 for 'Select Camera #' for example.)

• 10. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            I can't see how adding this functionality would hinder anyone's workflow

It wouldn't necessarily, but it does take resources, which aren't unlimited.

Mind you we're not talking about tweaks here.  If a camera goes wonky and I change over a few frames late, that's very quickly and easily corrected by sliding the cut point over with the Rolling Edit tool.  Here were talking only about the need to add a new cut point and change the camera angle for the new cut.  If you have to make hundreds of those changes after the first draft in the multicam window, then you need a LOT more practice with multicamera cutting.  Not making that many mistakes will speed up your work flow a lot more than this feature request will.

• 11. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline

Hi Jim,

If you have the luxury of a multicam workflow that requires next to zero tweaks after a live edit, I'd consider that a blessing!

Having to make dozens of camera angle changes and fixes is the result of working with the far from perfect material I've got (full of dancer mistakes and camera mistakes) and editing on a laptop where many of these mistakes aren't even apparant until the edited sequence is played back full screen. A far from perfect editing situation like this does require a lot of tweaks by nature of the edit, and not due to lack of competence by the user as you imply.  Sure editing on a laptop isn't the best way to work, but working overseas that's what I've got.

The point is that Premiere Pro's multicam editing tools are far from fully efficient and this can and should be fixed.  Allowing the multi-camera window to 'play nice' with the Timeline (i.e. Timeline playback plays video in multicam window & vice versa, 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts work from Timeline, etc.) isn't too much to ask for IMO.

• 12. Re: 'Cut to Camera #' shortcuts available from Timeline
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

If you have the luxury of a multicam workflow that requires next to zero tweaks after a live edit, I'd consider that a blessing!

Again, I'm not talking about tweaking a cut point.  I do that plenty after the first pass.  I'm talking about the need to add a new cut point and switch angles for that cut.