6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 5:53 PM by mytaxsite.co.uk

How can I get rid of fonts?

OldRhind Level 1

I use CS PS6, but installed PS Elements & Premiere Elements to help a friend. Now I have a whole raft of fonts that I don't want, & don't need, Arabic, Korean, Hebrew and who knows what else. I can't delete them, "Protected system  files" the warning says. And there are others, like ADMUI2LG Regular, are those needed for functionality? No Koreans or Arabs are ever going to use this machine, unless it's stolen perhaps, and I'm not being racist, I just want to cut the cr*p. If I use File Assassin to delete them will CS 6 stop working? Or will Big Brother System just recreate them?

David

• 1. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
          Level 7

Those fonts came with your OS, not Adobe applications.

And it is the OS that is preventing you from removing them.

And yes, removing required system fonts can cause problems in the OS and for applications.

• 2. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
            OldRhind Level 1

Thanks for your response. System  fonts I can see could be a problem, but these aren't really system fonts. For instance: Adobe Fa Heiti, Adobe Fansong, Adobe Myungjo Std, a load more with Adobe in the name. Something tells me that they might have come from Adobe.

David

• 3. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
              Level 7

If the OS is telling you that they are protected, then the OS wants them protected.

Please remember that Adobe also makes and sells fonts (including to OS vendors).

• 4. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
                OldRhind Level 1

Thanks for that, I didn't know that Adobe sells fonts to MS. Still, searching through that endless list of fonts is a pain. Arabic fonts?!? Explain that to the men in dark glasses! I have an up to date image, I think I'll blow them away.

• 5. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
                  Seth Urquhart Level 1

Is there a way to hide them? I could see where this would be useful, I hate scrolling through the endless list of fonts. Could you group fonts in a folder?

• 6. Re: How can I get rid of fonts?
                    mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

I use CS PS6, but installed PS Elements & Premiere Elements to help a friend. Now I have a whole raft of fonts that I don't want, & don't need, Arabic, Korean, Hebrew and who knows what else. I can't delete them, "Protected system  files" the warning says. And there are others, like ADMUI2LG Regular, are those needed for functionality? No Koreans or Arabs are ever going to use this machine, unless it's stolen perhaps, and I'm not being racist, I just want to cut the cr*p. If I use File Assassin to delete them will CS 6 stop working? Or will Big Brother System just recreate them?

What is your OS?  If you are using Windows then you can delete the fonts you don't use.  For example in Windows 7 I can select the font and click on the delete button.  See this picture:

http://tinyurl.com/b7gm5nv

The fonts are in the Windows folder under "Fonts".  Make sure you launch your Windows Explorer as Administrator to enable you to delete the fonts.

Good luck.