1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 11:18 AM by Peter Grainge

How does RH invoke Microsoft HTML Help

Krischu Level 1

A question of understanding:

Is it right that RH 9/10 and earlier RH versions all to the same regarding to generating HTML Help (.chm)?

They use the Microsoft Help Compiler, right? They invoke the HHC.exe with the projects' .HHP as an argument?

Assumed this is the case, then earlier versions of RH were using the appropriate html format for the .HHC and .HHK files,

like:

<html>

<!-- Sitemap 1.0 -->

<object type="text/site properties">

<param name="SiteType" value="toc">

<param name="Image Width" value="16">

<param name="Window Styles" value="0x800002">

<param name="ExWindow Styles" value="0x100">

</object>

<ul>

<object type="text/sitemap">

<param name="Name" value="sub1.chm::/sub1.hhc">

<param name="Merge" value="sub1.chm::/sub1.hhc">

</object>

</ul>

</html>

while the newer versions are using an xml format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<toc version="1.0">

<properties imagewidth="16" windowstyles="8388610" exwindowstyles="256">

</properties>

<item name="sub1.chm::/sub1.hhc" merge="sub1.chm::/sub1.hhc">

</item>

</toc>

Given this, and given that RH invokes HHC.exe with the HHP file as an argument, a conversion to the "old" format must be performed prior to invoking the compiler. Or am I wrong and HHC understands the XML format?

From experimenting I did with manually invoking HHC.exe I found at least, that the Microsoft Help Compiler doesn't cope with the XML-format.

Are my considerations correct? Do the newer versions of RH do a conversion to the "old" format and just keep the XML formatted files for their own bookkeeping?

--

Christoph

• 1. Re: How does RH invoke Microsoft HTML Help
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

In Tools > Options > General there is an option Convert RoboHelp edited topics to HTML. RoboHelp generates XHTML, that option allows all formats to be converted to HTML. When generating a CHM, it is not necessary to select that option, it is done automatically by RoboHelp. That allows the compiler to deal with what is sent to it.

There are some things from RoboHelp that the compiler does not understand if you use the compiler direct. RoboHelp has ways of dealing with that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge