0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2007 7:24 AM by Michael98102

must refer to a movie clip by string???

Michael98102
      I have an example where I seem to have to refer to a movie clip by a string of chained property accesses, instead of by the property access themselves. In the example I am trying to set the color of a movie clip, but I suspect that this issue is not specific to the Color class.

You can see in mySetColorVersion1 I take two property name parameters, plus a color. I access the movie clip I want to color using a chain of movie clip property accesses (each part of the chain is a movie clip), using "." for some and "[ ]" for those that are accessed via variable properties (t and a). mySetColorVersion1 has no effect.

function mySetColorVersion1( t:String, a:String, c:String )
      {
      var color:Color = new Color( holder_mc.subholder_mc[ t ].specific_mc[ a ] );
      color.setRGB( c ); // does nothing
      }

I had an example from some legacy code that did things as in mySetColorVersion2, which to my amazement works. It seems very strange to me that you build up this *string* of the expression you want to access, and pass it to the Color constructor. It's as if the Color constructor, upon recognizing it as a string, calls eval() on it. But also I don't see how this could work while the version in mySetColorVersion1 fails.

function mySetColorVersion2( t:String, a:String, c:String )
      {
      var color = new Color( "holder_mc.subholder_mc." + t + ".specific_mc." + a );
      color.setRGB( c ); // it works -- but how, why ?!?!
      }

I also tried the experiment in mySetColorVersion3, where I built up a string again, but this time used the [ ] notation for one of my variable movie clip accesses. This doesn't work.

function mySetColorVersion3( t:String, a:String, c:String )
      {
      var color:Color = new Color( "holder_mc.subholder_mc[ " + t + " ].specific_mc." + a );
      color.setRGB( c ); // also does nothing
      }

So it only works when I build up the access as a string, and when I use only the "." notation in that string, as in mySetColorVersion2. Can anyone explain to me what is going on here. Shouldn't my direct access of the movie clip work if the string version works? Shouldn't my string version with the brackets work if the dot version works? I've used Color() and setRGB() plenty of times with simple movie clip parameters, but for some reason in this case where I have this complicated chain of property accesses, it only works with this strange string version.

Thanks for any help.

Michael