4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 11:08 AM by garethirwin1234

Bringing a frame back to square?

garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi everyone, this problem I have in illustrator as well.

Sometimes I accidently put a turn on a text frame or box or shape.

Later when I discover it, no mater how carefull I am I cannot get it to go back totally square, its really frustrating. Because its not set at an angle, turning it to 0 degrees or 90 or what ever is still not square.

Hope that make sense. I want for instance the text frame to be dead square so the frame lines are dead straight!

• 1. Re: Bringing a frame back to square?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you probably use the direct select tool to move a corner at some point. In ID select the frame (withthe black arrow), then Object > Convert Shape > Rectangle and it will square up the corners, but it will grow to the size of the bounding box if one or more corners are sticking out rather than in.

• 2. Re: Bringing a frame back to square?
            garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi, I don't think I have made myself very clears its hard to explain.

If you create a text fram, and put some text in. The with the black arround select a a corner until rotation is available and routate it a bit.

Then do some thing else.

Then go back to that frame, and try and rotate it back to dead square, no matter what you do it will not be dead straight, its doing my head in!

• 3. Re: Bringing a frame back to square?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I have no problem bringing a frame back to 0 degrees rotation. Waht version of ID are you using?

Three methods that work for me in CS6:

Select the frame and from the Control panel flyout menu choose Clear Transformations.

Select the frame and in the control panel set the angle field to 0 (it's just to the right of the Width field).

Select the frame and rotate as before in the other direction, and watch the smart guide indicator until it becomes a single line.

• 4. Re: Bringing a frame back to square?
                garethirwin1234 Level 1

Thanks peter I was only aware of the third option, and try as I might the frame line is still not totally straight.

But the other two options appear to be what I want. Thanks for you help.