23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2013 9:14 AM by Paul R Stark

How to troubleshoot-possible bad drive

Paul R Stark Level 1

Hi Everyone.

Woke up to a distressing experience starting up my editing workstation this morning. I got a black screen doing a chkdsk and freezing at the USN Journal Verification stage, says completed, but goes nowhere with the drive light running continuously.

Numerous restarts produced same result, so I bypassed the chkdsk and tried to back up but FBackup 4 reported first one warning, unable to backup pagefile.sys from F:/ drive, and most recently this:

Warning:    Skipping file F:\System Volume Information\6{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}

Source error (code 5). Access is denied. (F:\System Volume Information\6{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}).

However, I can see all the drives, but the PC is running really sluggishly. My backup drive seems to have worked as a new file from last night was on the backup from this morning, but from my E:/ Media drive, whereas the warnings I got were for the F:/ drive.

So if you could please recommend the best way to troubleshoot this issue I'd be eternally grateful. I may have a bad drive, but I really don't know. Cache issue, do a system restore, the old "dirty bit" issue??? My specs are in my profile.

With sincere thanks,

Paul

P.S. The drive light is still on continuously.