5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 1:44 PM by startrekfan22

VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro

howard.z Level 1

Hi Folks!

Well I'm still tooling around with Premiere and I have a question for the Adobe Jedis. I've been reading on line that DV-AVI is the best format to work with in Premiere Pro. I work mostly with VOBs, de-noising rough video, fixing up VCD and VHS rips of materials I have, or doing color correction on DVD's. There's info like this that I've been reading:

http://www.mathesonbayley.com/article_vobs_to_dv_avi.php

He writes:

"The format you need to convert your VOBs to for use in Premiere Pro is "DV Avi. Anything else is inferior."

On the forums, I've read this in the Elements FAQ

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317

He writes:

"A good rule of thumb is that, whenever possible, you should use DV-AVIs as your video source."

And there's this thread titled "Getting your files into DV-AVI format"

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/473041

Here it says that "the advice I’ve received on the forum suggests the best file format to edit in is DV-AVI Type II."

This all has me wondering if I should be converting my VOBs to DV-AVI Type II files in something MPEG streamclip, and then editing and exporting them as an MPEG2-DVD format? I think working with VOBs is okay, but now I'm not sure. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Howard

• 1. Re: VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you edit vob's without any problems I would say stick to that.

Converting to dv-avi is not a bad thing but dv-avi is not lossless but lossy.

If vob editing is giving you issues then yes convert to dv-avi.

Best is to use a hardware converter like a Grass Valley or a dv-camera with analog-in.

• 2. Re: VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro
            howard.z Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

I find I ger the best results if I demux and load the video into Premiere. I hate the results when I export from DV-AVI. I find a serious drop in quality occurs. Is this to be expected?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you start with a VOB, you are starting with a file that has had "about" 3/4 of the information "thrown away" to reduce from an original DV AVI to a highly compressed VOB... so, yes, editing that file to then export to a new file will have reduced quality

Why not edit mpeg http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/edit.html is the same for VOB... since a VOB file is simply MPEG2 with a VOB extension

• 4. Re: VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro
                Jim_Simon Level 8

A VOB is more than just MPEG with a different extension.  VOB files can contain other data that normal MPEG videos do not, which can make them troublesome to edit.  This is more likely to occur with a Hollywood disk than a burned disk, though.

• 5. Re: VOB's and DV-AVI in Premiere Pro
                  startrekfan22

howard.z your best bet is to take the video out of a DVD player via one of the analog connections, and then use a Canopus ADVC-300 or other hardware DV converter (or if you're able to import via an uncompressed converter, such as the Matrox MX02).  You need to get rid of the MPEG codec and capture an uncompressed video.

I remember years ago I had this same issue, and I kept ending up with exported video that looked like it came from a SLP VHS recording.  Whenever I need to go from (especially consumer) MPEG format (i.e. MicroMV, miniDVD) to a file, I always drop the video to analog (S-Video or Component, but I've also brought it in via composite for my resume reel when I'm including video from DVD's that I've recorded off the air of productions that I've done at the local cable company where I volunteer, since I record those off of analog cable and I find I get a cleaner picture when I drop the image back down to composite), and it is the only way that I can get a high quality video transfer, otherwise the I get a recompressed pile of garbage.  You have to remember that with DV you have a constant bit rate of 25 Mbps, whereas with DVD MPEG/VOB your bit rate is usually averages around 5.0 Mbps, 1/5 of DV's bit rate.  By dropping to analog you are removing that MPEG codec and are capturing an uncompressed image.