5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 5:49 PM by bla1324

Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?

bla1324

So I have been trying to use Twixtor to slow mo my video clips but whenever I do this it distorts them so much that I cant use them so I was wondering if any of you knew of a better slow mo software that doesnt distort video clips?

• 1. Re: Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Twixtor is probably the best. It's not as simple as just slowing down the shot. There are dozens of different combinations of settings that vary depending on the shot. It also takes a bit of experimentation to do really good slow mo from a normal shot. It would help me a bunch if you could describe the kinds of things you're trying to do. It would help even more if you had some example footage.

• 2. Re: Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

The other thing to keep in mind, is the frame rate that the footage was shot at VS the playback rate you are setting up. Twixtor is so far the best that I know of (admittedly, I have not got the world of experience with all the plug-ins available), and is "pretty" simple to get going.

For best results, I have found - shoot at a high frame rate, set a comp to play it back at 50% speed (so shoot at 50FPS, and playback at 25FPS for me), export the result as lossless PNG or TGA files, then use those along with twixor to slow it down even more.

Pierre

• 3. Re: Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?
              bla1324 Level 1

Ok, here is a video with two clips that I put slow mo on first at about 11 seconds and the last is at the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5Bvouw4CY&feature=youtu.be

• 4. Re: Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see the two slow mo shots. In the first there's a little something funny going on for a couple of frames with dhe door frame. Otherwise it looks just fine I'm not a fan of game screen cap videos and I'm not a gamer so I don't know what you are looking for but with the right settings and setting up some control and vector masking areas Twixtor is very capable of fixing the problems with the door frame. I didn't see any problems with the slow mo at the end and I only noticed the few frames of distortion in the door frame after watching the section about 4 or 5 times. If you could post the frame where the distortion is giving you a problem at the end of this clip I'll make a guess as to how to fix it but my answer will probably be the same. Go through the advanced Twixtor tutorials on their site and learn how to protect those areas in your shot. BTW, because screen cap games are different animals than live video and screen cap software produces different kinds of files than video cameras do you may have other issues with the footage that cannot be solved easily.

One other question, and please don't take this as a criticism or an insult. Why are you spending your valuable time creating a slow mo sequence of game play? I'm just curious.

Search Google for Advanced Twixtor Tutorials

Check out the tutorials, especially the Edge and fixing warping ones on the company website.

Read articles like this one where users explain their techniques.

• 5. Re: Best slow mo software for CS 5.5?
                  bla1324 Level 1

Ok I will definitely check out their tutorials thanks for your help and the reason I want to do the slow mo is so I can make a gameplay montage which is something that alot of people do for this game here are a couple examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLy1rvNJTXg  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXIB4cmKSQ