11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 6:46 AM by Dr_B0B RSS

Removing Black Borders on PSE 9

Dr_B0B Community Member

Hello!

Before anything, I would like to state that I'm very new to editing with premiere elements (or editing at all).

Now, I'm having a problem with a video. I capture my clips off my screen using a program called Fraps. Once I've finished editing the video, the preview looks fine, so I click the share option and upload it to my YouTube account on PAL HD for YouTube 1920 x 1080.

Then, when I load the video on YouTube, the video haves an annoying black border surrounding it.

I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried looking it up but I haven't found anything of much use.

If you need any more details please say so and I'll post them in a response.

• 1. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
          Steve Grisetti MVP

There are a number of challenges with using FRAPS video in Premiere Elements. It's not a good fit at all.

But the reason you're seeing black borders is because the size of your FRAPs video is different than the size and/or dimensions of your video project.

What is the exact size, in pixels, of the are or the screen you are capturing with your FRAPs program?

• 2. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
            Dr_B0B Community Member

I believe it is 1366 x 768. But apart from the problem of the black borders I have not yet found another problem with FRAPS videos.

• 3. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
              Steve Grisetti MVP

If the area you're capturing can be resized to 1280x720, then it would fit into a Premiere Elements video frame.

All projects edited in Premiere Elements must fit into one of its frame sizes:

1920x1080

1280x720

640x480 (or, in non-square pixels, 720x480)

If your video fits perfectly into one of these video frames, you won't have black bars around it when you output your movie.

• 4. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                the_wine_snob Community Member

Dealing with just the black bars, and using PrE, the best that you can do is to pick a Project Preset, with a Frame Size, as close to your FRAPS material, as is possible, and then to use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to enlarge the footage, to fill the Video Frame Size. Scaling UP will slightly degrade the image, but there is no way around it.

As your 1366 x 768 has an Aspect Ratio (1.78 vs 1.777 - essentially the same), very, very close to that of 1920 x 1080, that would be my choice. Your PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) is going to be PAR = 1.0, or Square Pixels, so that will be what you also want. You might loose a few pixels on one side, but not such that one would ever notice.

PrE is designed to work with standard Video Frame Sizes, and offers no way to create a Custom Frame Size, like PrPro does, so you are limited to just those standard Sizes.

For some tips on FRAPS, and other video screen-cap programs, this older article might have some useful info. Note: much of the discussion IS for PrPro, and not PrE, so one has to take a few limitations into mind: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4461642#4461642

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                  Dr_B0B Community Member

I changed the resolution of my screen to be 1280 x 720. then I recaptured the video and when I uploaded it it fit the screen perfectly.

However the resolution clearly decreased.

Is there a way to get the first capture to fit the video project? Or specify the video project to be 1366 x 768?

• 6. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9

The only way to get that first video screen-cap material to fill the Video Frame Size, is to adjust the Scale to fill the 1920 x 1080 Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                      Dr_B0B Community Member

Thank you for the advice. However, as I stated, I am very new at Premiere Elements, would you mind telling me how to do that?

• 8. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9

For every Clip Imported into the Project, and used on the Timeline, there are several Fixed Effects, that are automatically added to each Clip. Those are Motion (with Scale, Position & Rotation), and then Opacity, and Volume, if the Clip has Audio attached to it.

The Motion>Scale is what you will want to adjust. If you have multiple Clips, you can do the adjustment for Motion>Scale in the first one, then Rt-click, choosing Copy. Then, Select all other, similar Clips on the Timeline, Rt-click on those, and choose Paste Attributes. That will then apply the adjustment to the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to all of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                          Dr_B0B Community Member

Thanks again. But I'm having trouble finding the option. Just to recall, this is Premiere Elements 9.

I have it in spanish, but that's no problem, I might even change the language.

But would you mind telling me where would the option be located? In the top bar? In the right bar?

• 10. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                            Steve Grisetti MVP

Right-click on a clip or still on the timeline and select Show Properties. This will open the clip's Properties panel.

Click on the little triangle to the listing for Motion and you should have access to the Position, Scale and Rotation properties Bill describes.

• 11. Re: Removing Black Borders on PSE 9
                              Dr_B0B Community Member

Yes!

Finally I got it working. I just had to change the project preset to a 1080 x 720 resolution one. Then all my clips fited perfectly!

The definition problem I had was because I was exporting the files on a lower resolution preset. But strangely, changing it to the 1090 x 1080 fixed it and it still fited the whole screen.

Thanks to all of you for your help