4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 11:40 AM by Johnross78

Entering a Not To Exceed Validation Script

Johnross78

I am looking for a validation script that will not allow a user to enter an amount that exceeds an amount they previously entered in another form box.  For example, if the entered a value of 25000 in a cell named 'SchValue01', they could not enter 25001 in the subsequent cell.  I would need them to be able to enter an amount equal to the first though.  Can anyone advise me?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Entering a Not To Exceed Validation Script
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Exactly what should happen if the other field is blank?

• 2. Re: Entering a Not To Exceed Validation Script
            Johnross78 Level 1

The initial field (named ‘SchValue01’) cannot be blank because it is creates a value in a summary field somewhere else on the page.  It has a defaulted value of .0001 in the document because the SchValue01 field divides an entry in another field, so it can never be blank or zero.  So, the subsequent field would not be allowed to be greater than .0001, until the user changes the SchValue01 field to a value other than .0001.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Entering a Not To Exceed Validation Script
              Johnross78 Level 1

To compound the problem even further, the subsequent cell, named ‘TotalToDate01’ (which cannot be greater than ‘SchValue01’) is the sum of 3 other fields.  So, this is the script I currently have entered for TotalToDate01:

PrevApp01ReqTP01SM01

This calculation must be factored in, and the sum of these field cannot exceed the ‘SchValue01” field.

Thanks, this one is way above my pay grade..

• 4. Re: Entering a Not To Exceed Validation Script
                Johnross78 Level 1

George, never mind.  I found a discussion where you helped someone with the same issue last March.  The solution worked perfectly!  Thanks!

John O. Ross, Jr.

President

DooleyMack Constructors of South Carolina, LLC

1114 Morrison Drive

Charleston, SC 29403

843-762-6690 (Office)

843-762-6691 (Fax)

843-408-8587 (Mobile)

www.dooleymack.com <http://www.dooleymack.com/

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments is confidential and privileged information intended only for the use of individuals or entities named above.If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at the originating address.