1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 8:05 AM by TLL...

Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed

TLL... Level 3

Hello all

I’ve been using Bridge CS6 /Camera Raw (win7 64-bit) to import, adjust and export aerial imagery for various client deliverables. I’ve included using PS CS6 via Bridge to create my final exported files. So far everything is working great.

Because this is an ‘interim’ step (used to create something else) the overhead in terms of local and archival storage is getting too high (1000’s of huge files) – we need to save storage space. So, I’ve been asked if it’s possible to save only the adjustment settings for every image I’ve created, so we aren’t trying to save terabytes of temporary images and still have the ability to create the exact same imagery some time in the future from archived original files and my saved settings.

I said sure I can do that, since I’ve occasionally saved a single .xml setting in a project as a seed adjustment for other work. My problem is I can’t figure out the Bridge help directions for doing this. I don’t know if it’s just me or the convoluted way the help is written, but here’s what I need to do:

For all the files in x directory (all with CR adjustments applied) I need to save out the individual .xml adjustment files for those images. This setting export can go to the same x directory or I can direct the app (Bridge or CR) to save them to a networked archive location.

This should be a simple thing to do. I think I’m just too dumb to figure it out on my own. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

PS – I’m linking this to the Bridge forum too as I’m not sure where I might get my answer…

• 1. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
          Paul Riggott Level 6

Extracting just the changes from a xmp file is a non starter as ACR writes most details to the XMP file.To save space you could zip up all the XMP files in a folder and save that with the raw files.

• 2. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
            TLL... Level 3

Thanks Paul, that's what I'm looking for - the .xmp files themselves (my bad - I mean XMP, ******* extensions ). The originating imagery are TIF and I'm currently having Bridge cache everything to my PS scratch drive under a 'Bridge_data' folder. I just need the steps to creating the .xmp files and how/where to put them or retrieve tham from cache.

• 3. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
              Omke Oudeman Level 5

I'm not sure what you want exactly but I do think you mean the XMP files that contain the ACR settings? If you only want the XMP files then in Bridge go to menu view and choose 'Show hidden files', this brings the XMP files in view and you also can use the filter panel to select XMP file to only bring those XMP files in view. Be sure to copy them instead of move because if you move them they are lost for the original Raw files. And also be sure to have a proper naming convention otherwise you will not be able to find them back when needed. The original filename generated by camera usualy resets itself to 1 after 9999 files

But I don't follow your workflow, if you want to save space just save the original Raw files as a jpeg in medium or low quality so that you have the same file in a much smaller size that shows you the image itself instead of a bunch of XMP icons that can only found by name.

The XMP files itself are very small (a few kb's) and you still need the original Raw files. If you have made may changes in PS and end up with huge layered files then that is an other story. But in that case I still would flatten and save as PSD in maximum filesize. HD storage is very cheap nowadays and you can store them on separate HD and use the small jpeg for archive purpose. When needen you only need to find the saved PSD and export this to needed size in Photoshop. If you also keep the original Raw files with XMP using the same naming convention you can find them back easily when needed.

• 4. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                TLL... Level 3

Thanks Omke, that's exactly what I'm looking for - the xmp files! Lemme go look for them and I'll get back and let you know how this goes. BTW - used your suggestion for exporting via Photoshop and that technique rocks!

• 5. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                  TLL... Level 3

"But I don't follow your workflow,"

I'm bringing in tif files, not raw then making adjustments in CR, then exporting to a set of adjusted tif images using Photoshop. And I still can't find any xmp using 'show hidden' or the filter view.

See below

BR_01.jpg

• 6. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                    RASouthworth Level 3

There are no xmp files generated for jpg and tif files edited within ACR, the data is recorded inside the file in the same format as for xmp.  A new file with the same name is generated in place of the input file, no other data within the file is modified.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - Photoshop will honor the xmp changes, third party programs in general will not.  Once saved out of Photoshop the image data is modifed and no xmp data is included.

• 7. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                      TLL... Level 3

Thank you for your reply Richard

Knowing what you just said, and knowing that I can create an xmp file associated with a given tif image in Camera Raw, do you think that I will need to look into a scripting solution for generating xmp data files from hundreds of tif images at a time?

• 8. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                        TLL... Level 3

All

I've cross-posted this discussion to the Bridge forum too. The news is not encouraging, but I'm still looking for ideas.

• 9. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                          Omke Oudeman Level 5

The news is not encouraging, but I'm still looking for ideas.

There is no news that will suit you I'm afraid. As Richard pointed out you do have Tiff files, only Raw files have separate XMP files because basically you can't write data to Raw files (at least, not in an easy way).

You do have ACR settings applied to your tiff files according to the small slider icon top right of the icons but again, XMP data is only a few kb and that would mean about 0,(a lot of zero's here)1 % of your file size.

According to the info showing in your screenshot you do have indeed massive files but I don't know the specs about layered or how many MP your Air camera generates but I assume it will be a lot (or do you scan negatives?)

Your naming convention shows only the option to apply it to a max of 999.999 files but regarding the file size that might take a while to generate these files...

However if you have these file size as basic for a full file you really should invest in large storage capacity and generated small files for use in an archive. But maybe you can explain a bit more of the files (layered or not etc.) so we can think of other ideas for your workflow.

• 10. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                            RASouthworth Level 3

It's possible, but problematic.  Google on tif structure (here's one link http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/faq.html) and understand the structure.  You can programatically scan the tif file for the xmp info (It's in plain text) and pull it out and create an xmp.  I've done it on a single file with a hex editor, would take significant work to create a program/script to do so.

BTW .xmp files are in plain text, if you want to read one to understand the nature of the beast.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - As I think about it, extracting .xmp's from tif files won't really do any good, afaik there is no way to apply them to the original tif file.  The tif file AFTER the ACR edits have been applied really is as unchanged as the original file itself, and in the future the embedded edit info can be cleared by Bridge and the file returned to its original state.  So it's really only necessary to archive the tif+ACR edits file and discard the original, although most people would have a hard time swallowing such.

• 11. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                              TLL... Level 3

This is getting more and more disappointing, but I not going to give up just yet - esp if I have someone listening! We have some tif header editing tools and experience that I may be able to use here @work. Just to keep everyone on the same page here's a recap of what I'm doing:

1. Images edited via ACR in Bridge are 300-500mb tif. Think of these as 'raw' camera files (unedited image data). These are flattened images - no layers, just big . This is geospatial image data. With a full set of four band channel information they can go over 1gb each.

2. I use ACR to do basic adjustment and use Photoshop to run a basic 'import from camera raw and save as' action - NO other PS adjustments are made. I do this because it is much more flexible vs. export in Bridge, and it frees up ACR so I can multi-task.

3. We do not want to save these images after we're done using them to make other things. If we can create individual .xmp data files that contain adjustment info that's ONLY 5k vs. 400+ mb per image, we can archive the xmp data with those original images from step #1. We should be able to reproduce imagery like #2 if needed in the future (this is an attempt @ saving archiving space) from the raw and xmp data if it placed in a common directory and opened up in Bridge? Right?

4. I'm open to ANY other ideas for achieving this. Saving lores jpgs and getting the adjustment data out of those somehow? Exporting DNG and try the same thing?

I hope this explaination is better than my previous attempts...

• 12. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                Paul Riggott Level 6

I am still at a loss at what you are wanting. If you wand XMP files creating for all your TIFFs this should be possible to do in Bridge. Are you archiving TIFFs before editing has been done?

• 13. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                  RASouthworth Level 3

I believe your conclusion in (3) is incorrect, i.e. I don't know of any means to combine a tif and external .xmp to result in an edited tif.  I know of no way to "join" them, and no way for ACR to see them as a unit as it does for raw files.

Richard Southworth

• 14. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                    RASouthworth Level 3

I'm going to try an summarize the workflow when editing a tif file in ACR:

1. The edits are non-destructive,

2. If one clicks on either Done or Open in ACR the edits are saved as a few kilobytes of text embedded in a REPLACEMENT file with the same name as the original file, and the original file is deleted (no warnings are given).

3. Further Photoshop processing of the new tif version will always result in the file first opening in ACR.

4. The replacement file is equivalent to the original tif file except for the added text block.

5. The replacement file can be restored to the original unedited tif by using the "Clear settings" command in bridge.  Afterwards it can be directly opened in Photoshop without first going thru ACR.

6. There is no way I am aware of that the .xmp information can be extracted and joined with the original tif.

I believe you can accomplish your goal of no duplicate storage by saving the ACR edited version of the tif.

Richard Southworth

• 15. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                      Paul Riggott Level 6

You can use the extracted XMP data as a template and apply it via Tools Replace Metadata.

The XMP file would have to be in the XMP folder though.

To extract the TIFs xmp data this script should do the selected folder ....

#target bridge   
                                         if( BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge" ) {  
                                      xmpfind = MenuElement.create("command", "Extract TIF xmp data", "at the end of Tools");
                                      }
                                      xmpfind.onSelect = function () { 
                                      app.document.deselectAll();
                                      var sels = app.document.getSelection("tif");
                                      if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined)  ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");
                                      for(var a in sels){
                                          try{
                                      var sourceFile = File(sels[a].spec);
                                      var Name = decodeURI(sourceFile.name).replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
                                      var xmpFile = File(app.document.presentationPath+"/" + Name + ".xmp");
                                      var xmpf = new XMPFile(sourceFile.fsName, XMPConst.UNKNOWN, XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_READ);
                                      var xmp = xmpf.getXMP();
                                      xmpFile.open('w');
                                      xmpFile.encoding = "UTF8";
                                      xmpFile.lineFeed = "unix";
                                      xmpFile.writeln(xmp.serialize());
                                      xmpFile.close();
                                      }catch(e){alert(e + " " + e.line);}
                                      }
                                      };

• 16. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                        Omke Oudeman Level 5

1. Images edited via ACR in Bridge are 300-500mb tif. Think of these as 'raw' camera files (unedited image data). These are flattened images - no layers, just big . This is geospatial image data. With a full set of four band channel information they can go over 1gb each.

To understand it better, this is a file you generated from a scanner using analog film or is it straight from a digital camera (btw, if so, what camera are you using). My Canon d30 from 2001 did have tiff as raw file format from camera, later it became CR2)

I don't know about the extra 4 band channel info but assume that is after output for a client or just another basically raw file?

2. I use ACR to do basic adjustment and use Photoshop to run a basic 'import from camera raw and save as' action - NO other PS adjustments are made. I do this because it is much more flexible vs. export in Bridge, and it frees up ACR so I can multi-task.

I understand the basic adjustment in ACR but don't understand the need for running the PS action without adjustments made, you can use the ACR dialog to save as in different file formats. If you run ACR in PS and then switch to Bridge and choose 'open in Camera Raw' you run ACR via Bridge while PS is still busy in the background (takes a lot of processor resources though...)

3. We do not want to save these images after we're done using them to make other things. If we can create individual .xmp data files that contain adjustment info that's ONLY 5k vs. 400+ mb per image, we can archive the xmp data with those original images from step #1. We should be able to reproduce imagery like #2 if needed in the future (this is an attempt @ saving archiving space) from the raw and xmp data if it placed in a common directory and opened up in Bridge? Right?

Whether you like it or not, your basic raw file is your basic raw file and if you want to use it for future usage you have to save this because that is where all the important data is stored. The settings made in ACR is just saved as so called XMP data and has info about the settings of your sliders, no more no less and still is only a few kb of data. A typical raw file has no option to save this info in because you can't write to it. If you convert it to DNG the same few kb's are written to the file itself.

If you want to use the stored XMP file as you want it to be you do need to find the original raw file again first because this XMP file does not create anything itself without the original data. Neither can you see any preview of the original image, it should be found matching the filenames of the originals and then again should be opened. Ether using the shift key in Bridge to open directly in PS and when the xmp file is also in Bridge this will bypass the ACR dialog and open in PS with the old settings applied. Due to your file size this may be some advantage.

ACR is capable of opening two other file types and those are tiff and jpeg. Jpeg tends to be lossy in details due to compression, tiff holds all the details and data uncompressed and lossless. But as said, only a default Raw file from camera has XMP files as sidecar if you have set that option in the Camera Raw preferences. Otherwise it stores this data in the central Raw database on your computer at the location you did choose. But beware, if this database exceeds its size you have set it to it starts overwriting the older files with the newest and your old data is also lost and useless.

While it may seem logical to save those settings for future use I don't think that is very important. ACR CS6 came with another process version called 2012, process version 2003 and 2010 are older ones. Having saved XMP from 2003 and 2010 is of no use for process 2012 so either you have to revert to the older processes or bite the bullet and start again with the new process that has enhanced options. I do save my raw files and often get one from my archive and run it again in the new process which gives me always a better result then the one in the passed. I have no reason to believe 2012 is the last process version ever, improvement and development are likely to get on each version of ACR.

4. I'm open to ANY other ideas for achieving this. Saving lores jpgs and getting the adjustment data out of those somehow? Exporting DNG and try the same thing?

To my opinion you still have to invest in storage, I have plain internal disks that might be around 100 dollar for 2 GB, you don't need a super fast disk if you use it just for storage. I use an external eSata device that holds for HD that are hot swappable. But for security you need 2 sets for back up if your files are important and not easy to recreate, which clearly seems the case for you.

You can also dive in to raid systems or whatever other options but you still have to store your original raw files somewhere if you want them available for future use. Those saved raw files have the ACR settings in it and you can either open them directly in PS or use ACR to make other adjustments.

I offered the option for low res jpeg just for archiving purposes. If you add all needed metadata to your raw files (IPTC and Keywords) and then use save as jpeg low res you can use those files for archive purposes and with that you be able to easy find the files you want.

Bridge can do so but there are dedicated DAM (Digital Asset Management) applications that might be better for use as Archive purposes.

I can't think of any other way without saving the original files to achieve what you want, sorry for that or sorry for again not understanding this subject.

• 17. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                          RASouthworth Level 3

Paul,

I worked with the tools menu on a raw file, saw nothing that related to creating a template containing the raw image data, seemed to me it was aimed at various metadata fields.  Not sure what Replace Metadata would act upon.  Perhaps the .xmp file could be hooked in with Append Metadata, but then one would have to verify the result is what ACR is looking for.

Have you tried this process?

Richard Southworth

• 18. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                            Paul Riggott Level 6

The xmp file would have to placed into the correct folder before it could be used, this is where the templates are kept/created.

I.E.

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\XMP\Metadata Templates

I haven't tried it, but in theory if applied to the original TIFF that did not have the edits done it should apply them.

The best option is to archive the TIFFs with adjustments though.

• 19. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                              RASouthworth Level 3

Paul,

I had a bit of a brain cramp in my previous post, I should have stated I found nothing in the tools menu that would let me create a template with edit data found in .xmp files (exposure, contrast, brush, etc.).  I'm wondering if the tools process can be extended to creating or replacing such.  In any event you've given the OP plenty to think about.

Richard Southworth

• 20. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                Curt Y Level 6

Since this is cross posted just to keep everyone on same page here are my thoughts.

You state "We do not want to save these images after we're done using them to make other things.". 

My problem - if you can strip out the xmp file which contains the edit data and throw away the image how will that recreate anything?  For instance say you just adjust the color temperature by 500 degrees negative.  THis is recorded in the xmp file, but for it to be of any use it has to access the original image.  So if that is thrown away what good is it to know the kelvin temp was 500 too warm?

My second problem - if you are starting with a raw image why convert to tiff and then do the ACR edits?  Why not do the ACR edits on the raw, convert to tiff if needed for printing, then delete tiff?  You are still left with original raw and xmp.

• 21. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                  TLL... Level 3

"My problem - if you can strip out the xmp file which contains the edit data and throw away the image how will that recreate anything?"

We wish to discard the CR adjusted image only after we are done using it - the original camera data is still available to re-make a pre-adjusted image if needed in the future.

"My second problem - if you are starting with a raw image why convert to tiff and then do the ACR edits? "

These are NOT raw images in the sense of general purpose photography. The images are derived from a multi-spectral, multi-sensor aerial camera system. Like a imaging satellite, only in a plane. The tif image generated by a proprietary processing step is for practical purposes a 'raw' image.

Hope that helps.

• 22. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                    Omke Oudeman Level 5

These are NOT raw images in the sense of general purpose photography. The images are derived from a multi-spectral, multi-sensor aerial camera system. Like a imaging satellite, only in a plane. The tif image generated by a proprietary processing step is for practical purposes a 'raw' image.

It is still not easy to understand your workflow I'm afraid

ACR supports a lot of file formats for a lot of brands and types of digital camera's but I don't suppose your camera is in that list. Assuming you have basic material that needs some stitching this is been done in dedicated camera software and when you mean to adjust this compiled file in ACR you also store this compiled file away as meant per (Quote):

We throw out the CR adjusted image only - the original camera data is still available to re-make a pre-adjusted image.

If this is the case then you have no need to extract XMP because all adjusted settings applied in ACR are recorded and written to that small xmp file, in your case in to the file originally created camera data after you have used the Done or open button in ACR. (If correctly the thumbnail also should update in the Bridge window with the corrected settings when you opened or saved the file)

So the info you look for to be possibly used in the future is already in that file and adding a few kb to the original file. You only need to find the original in your archive and open it again in ACR. The earlier applied settings will appear in the panels and you can also reset all this settings to default (but after pressing done or open you have lost all previous ACR settings because this overwrites the old settings).

Besides a script from Paul I do know only one easy way to generate those files. When in ACR you can simply click on the small menu icon right sight of the panel name bar.

Inhere you do have the option to save the settings as a preset, this adds it to the list of presets but it also stored as an XMP file (on a Mac in the user library/ application support / Adobe / Camera Raw / Settings)

Don't know the Windows equivalent.

If you do so once you will see the very small and a list of corrections if you open it in a text app.

But as said, those info is also stored safely in the file itself.

If you would need steps made in PS then that will be a whole other story and I don't think that is possible. You can make a pref setting to create a history log but I don't know much about that, think it is per session recorded and not per file (PS prefs general / History log) and i don't know of a way to created logs or states for the History panel of a file.

If you only have to remember the adjustments set in ACR then they already are available in the file itself, just open it again in ACR or use shift key to open in PS with ACR settings while bypassing the ACR window.

• 23. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                      TLL... Level 3

Thanks for the time you're taking on me!

"If this is the case then you have no need to extract XMP because all adjusted settings applied in ACR are recorded and written to that small xmp file, in your case in to the file originally created camera data after you have used the Done or open button in ACR."

The problem with this statement is that based on my limited experience, and others who have responded is that this xmp file is NOT created automatically when using a tif image as the working file. I need to see how a deliberately saved .xmp (via ACR dialog 'save setting') will react to an unadjusted tif image with the same name, placed together in a folder. If Bridge/CR automatically applies that xmp setting, then I can proceed with finding some way to automate that whole 'save setting' deal.

If it doesn't then I'll look elsewhere for some form of lossless compression to archive this ACR adjusted imagery. Thank you everyone for your time. I'll report back!  TLL

• 24. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                        Paul Riggott Level 6

A XMP file in the same folder as a TIFF file will be ignored, it must be applied using Tools-Replace Metadata

The XMP file would have to be placed..

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\XMP\Metadata Templates

or the Mac equivelant.

• 25. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                          Omke Oudeman Level 5

The problem with this statement is that based on my limited experience, and others who have responded is that this xmp file is NOT created automatically when using a tif image as the working file. I need to see how a deliberately saved .xmp (via ACR dialog 'save setting') will react to an unadjusted tif image with the same name, placed together in a folder. If Bridge/CR automatically applies that xmp setting, then I can proceed with finding some way to automate that whole 'save setting' deal.

It might always be a good idea to dive a bit deeper into ACR but basically:

ACR settings are stored as XMP data. Besides a lot of different file types for Raw images that are supported in ACR this application can also handle both jpeg and tiff files. But here is the key, because most Raw files can't be written to there will be an other option needed for storing this XMP data.

In the Camera Raw preferences you have the option to choose for a 'side car XMP file' or to the central Database. By default the 'write to sidecar XMP' option is set to on and this normally creates a small file with the same filename as its original but with the extension '.xmp'. Those tiny files are also hidden by default.

But, and here is the but, some raw files like DNG (open standard created by Adobe) as well as jpeg and tiff files have the option to write data to (also IPTC etc) and therefore the XMP data with the settings is stored in the file itself and there is no need for a sidecar XMP file.

So you have no need to save or export those files because this data is already present in the original tiff file you used as 'raw' in ACR. This adds only a few kb to the file size therefor you have no need to remove it.

Just test it your self to get convinced.

Copy one of your raw files and make some extreme adjustments to this copy while leaving the original file untouched. Hit OK and after the process has ended open both the original and the adjusted copy in ACR and you would see the difference between them because the altered one opens with its adjusted settings and the original still shows as it was.

• 26. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                            TLL... Level 3

"Copy one of your raw files" - I'm not using raw files. I'm using tif files. What I want is an xmp sidecar from that ACR adjusted tif. How do I do that besides manually saving it in ACR? I understand 99% of what you are saying, I'm just not getting an answer to the above...

• 27. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                              RASouthworth Level 3

He said "your raw files", meaning your original tif.

Without going into the complex programming suggested by PR (and I still have reservations as to its viability), you can't create a separate xmp for a tif file.  Regardless of whether you are saving the edits into discrete xmp files or a central database, when ACR processes a tif it stores the edits inside the file.

If you're unwilling to replace the original tif with the ACR modified tif (a reasonable thing to do in my estimation) then you are out of luck, you can't (with normal ACR/Bridge/Photoshop processing) join the extracted xmp back to the original tif.

Richard Southworth

• 28. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                TLL... Level 3

Hey thanks, I've been following you posts closely.

"If you're unwilling to replace the original tif with the ACR modified tif" This modified image is only a step in a number of processes used to make "stuff" - I'm trying to find a way around having to archivally store terabytes of imagery. The thought of saving just the adjustment information, rather that the entire adjusted image file, is appealing.

"you can't (with normal ACR/Bridge/Photoshop processing) join the extracted xmp back to the original tif."

I need to find that out on my own, just need some time away from current production tasks...

• 29. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                  Paul Riggott Level 6

To do a test, copy and paste the above script into ExtendScript Toolkit, this gets installed with Photoshop. With Bridge open run the script, this will load the script into Bridge and will be available from the Tools menu (Note if you close Bridge this will disapear)

Select a folder with TIFs and run the script from the Tools menu, this should create all the XMP files for all the Tifs in that folder.

Once you have them, you would need to copy one of them to the XMP folder mentioned above then apply that template to a copy of the original Tif to see if it will add all the changes.

• 30. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                    TLL... Level 3

Awesome, but I don't see a script...

• 31. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                      Paul Riggott Level 6

The script is in 15 of this thread

• 34. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                        TLL... Level 3

Good news Paul (at least I think so)! That script works to extract the xmp data. But (isn't there always) placing that xmp file in the C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\XMP\Metadata Templates\ and calling it up via the replace metadata shows the file is there but does nothing.

However, I CAN use that xmp file to make the correct adjustment by opening the target image in CR and selecting 'load setting' and pointing to the corresponding xmp.

This is huge progress, do you think scripting could accomplish that 'load settings' step? BTW my employer would be willing to fund a solution for this. Not enough to make living of course but I think I could get somebody something...

Thanks again!

• 35. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                          Paul Riggott Level 6

You don't apply it in ACR.

You select the TIF file then Tools - Replace Metadata and select the xmp

Hopefully it should apply the changes.

• 36. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                            TLL... Level 3

"You select the TIF file then Tools - Replace Metadata and select the xmp"

Yeah, tried that, nothing happens.

• 37. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                              Paul Riggott Level 6

Have you then looked in ACR to see if changes have been made?

If they haven't you will need to archive the Tifs with the changes.

• 38. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                                RASouthworth Level 3

TLL,

Obviously you have to archive some image file along with the .xmp files in order to recreate any image in the future.  I'm suggesting you keep the ACR adjusted tif and DISCARD the original, the two are equivalent except for the embedded xmp data, which can always be zeroed out.  And if you truly ACR the original file instead of a copy you have no choice but to DISCARD, ACR will do it for you.

Remember, at the end of an ACR adjustment on a tif file you have three options - Done, Open, and Cancel.  The first two erase your original and replace it with the modified (original + embedded xmp) file.

Richard Southworth

• 39. Re: Exporting .xml workflow – advice needed
                                                                                  TLL... Level 3

No, no changes appear after the replace metadata step in either Bridge or ACR.. Still I can reload that extracted xmp in CR and that works. No way to script that? So close! Thinking out loud here and I'm not a coder - for all .xmp in x folder apply settings to same named tif in x folder?

1 2 Previous Next