8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 4:52 AM by Luke Jennings

Text Color Varient

hleisner17

I'm creating text document, with a paragraph smack in the middle. The background is white on the left, and black on the right. How do I get the text to read on both sides? Black on white, White on black. Screen shot 2013-01-21 at 10.37.35 AM.png

• 1. Re: Text Color Varient
          MW Design Level 4

Do you need the white rectangle behind the other objects?

If you do not need it, you can have the text frame above the black object and set the text frame itself (and hence its contents) to Color Dodge in the Effects panel.

1.png

I have not needed this and so know of no other means.

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Text Color Varient
            hleisner17 Level 1

Thanks Mike!

This was very helpful overall. I got the effect, however my text that I'd like to turn white, is grey. How do I fix that?

Heather

• 3. Re: Text Color Varient
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only way I've been able to make the Color Dodge technique work is to fill the balck area with Registration, which is not a viable alternative for printing.

• 4. Re: Text Color Varient
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only way I've been able to make the Color Dodge technique work is to fill the balck area with Registration

Same here, but I came across another recipe that might work for the OP, depending on the intent, and the importance of a strong black.

Send the text frame to the back, (behind the black element), then set the blend mode of the black element to Exclusion (or Difference). With it still selected, copy the black element, then paste in place. On that newly-pasted, top-most black element, change the fill to white, leaving the blend mode as-pasted; Exclusion (or Difference). This gives the pos/neg text effect, but leaves you with a somewhat weak black, which might be fine for, say, ordinary laser output.

• 5. Re: Text Color Varient
                  hleisner17 Level 1

What's Registration?

• 6. Re: Text Color Varient
                    hleisner17 Level 1

How do I set the black mode to Exclusion or Difference?

• 7. Re: Text Color Varient
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Registration is a special color that consists of 100% of every ink used in the file (and automatically adds CMY plates, though if this is a black only job I suppose you could get away with using it by telling the printer to only output the Black plate). It is designed to be used with printers marks, not content that you add becasue the ink load is too high for anthing but very small areas, like registration marks.

You'll find the blend modes in the Effects panel.

• 8. Re: Text Color Varient
                        Luke Jennings Level 4

Here's another way, not so elegant, but it will get you there. On page one you have your black type, copy it and paste in place on page 2, make the page 2 type white with a black background. Make a new InDesign file and place page one and two of the original file on page one, use the pen tool to add and subtract anchor points on the placed file to make the desired shape.