9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 5:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?

cvandaalen45

Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video? I have rendered the images in the project.  I checked my system to make sure it meets all the requirements for the software, no problem there.  When I "share" the project and save it as an MPEG, the images show up in WMP just fine.  But I need to be able to see what I'm doing to the stills while I am editing.  Help!

• 1. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that no photos are larger than 1000x750 pixels?

If so, what do you see in your Monitor?

• 2. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Steve has hit on the main reason that Still Images do not display, or display properly - their pixel x pixel dimensions are too large.

Also, insure that you have the latest video driver for your video card, as an obsolete driver can cause myrid display issues too. Check on the mfgr's. Web site, and do not trust your OS, or any utility, to determine if you have the latest version. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/948651?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
              Oldcameraman

Sorry to join this conversation so late, but I'm using Premier Elements 10. It appears that I have the same problem as the first poster in this thread cvandaalen45 had. I get the audio playback but no video so it's not possible to decide where to edit the clip.

Where does it say that the image size has to be individual frames have to be 1000x750 pixels or smaller?  I've been searching desperately for that and can't find it.

If they do have to be 1000x750 pixels does PE 10 have a converter?  I can't see it anywhere.  As well, the import instructions and specifications show simply importing the DSLR files and there's no reference to image size instructions.

Help me ! I'm confused.

Thanks to anyone who can bail me out of this one.

• 4. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IF you have Premiere Elements version 10 and an nVidia card

•nVidia Driver Rollback PreElements-10 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 may help

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 5. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

oldcameraman

1. Do you know or can you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and see what is listed as your video card/graphics card there? If it says, NVIDIA GeForce of any kind, I am 99.999999% sure that you got hit with the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue that affects your display. All the details that you would ever need to know about the problem and the fix (roll back of the card driver to about May 2013) are all in the Announcement at the top of this forum. Just let us know what card you have and then we can help you work through the details of the fix if necessary.

2. Now the matter of resolution for your source files....what are these files whose resolution you are concerned about....photos or videos.

If you tell us the brand/model/settings of your camera that is recording these photos and or videos,  we will help you interpret what you have and what needs to be done or not done.

The computer operating system that your Premiere Elements 10 is on will go a long way to helping you with the resource issues related to creating and finishing a Premiere Elements project successfully as well as the photo sizing you can get away with. Is your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer?

The 1000 x 750 pixels (pixel dimensions) are not written in stone and are confusing without background information. Depending on your computer resources, number of high resolution photos, and the version of Premiere Elements that you have, you may or may not have to resize them before import into the project. Sometimes you can scale them in the project itself. Sometimes you can resize them in some utility programs before import. Often aspect ratio of photos 3:2 and 4:3 needs to be taken into consideration when they are going into a project with an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Please supply as much detail as possible, and we will help you sort out the rest.

Thank you.

ATR

Also...good idea to start your own new thread specific to your situation.

• 6. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                    Oldcameraman Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thanks very much for your really prompt reply!

1.  Here are the  Laptop specs:

HP Laptop Core i7 3610QM 2.3 Ghz (quad core of course)

8 GB RAM

Win 7 with all updates

NVIDIA GeForce GT640M  1 GB graphics on card

Driver version 9.18.13.3165 

Driver update  23/10/2013

Laptop built in graphic :  Intel HD Graphics 4000

2.  Camera used - Nikon D7100   Movie set to HD. Files are showing as 1920 x 1080  Frame rate 23.976 fps

I can't see the announcement referred to but after I send this reply, I'll look again.

I'll also try the driver roll back and let you know.

Please review the computer specs. to see if there is anything that might cause problems there.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Gordon

• 7. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gordon

Many thanks for the reply with the details.

But, the key is missing...what version of Premiere Elements are you using? Are you using Premiere Elements 10?

I hope not in this case, but if you are, we will tell you what needs to be done. The following is a copy/paste of the Announcement

at the top of this forum about the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing

Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling

back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow

glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies

to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of

the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere

Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back

can be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                        Oldcameraman Level 1

Sucess!!

I rolled back the driver and we're in business!

FYI I'm using Premier 10.

Thanks very much for your help.

• 9. Re: Why can't I see still images in the playback monitor when editing a video?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Oldcameraman

Thanks for the follow up. You did a great job sorting through all those Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce troubleshooting details to reach that great

"....we're in business!"

Best wishes

ATR