3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 6:19 AM by Julie at JC

Set actions for interactive forms in InDesign CS6

Julie at JC

I have 4 radio buttons. And when one is chosen, I'd like a certain paragraph of text to display in the text field below it. Is this possible? In other words if I have 4 radio buttons of say colors, I'd like a description to appear of red if red was chosen.

• 1. Re: Set actions for interactive forms in InDesign CS6
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Buttons can be given more than one thing to do. You would need the button to also trigger a layer visibility--the layer that contains the text that you wish to show. That generally has to be done in Acrobat, from my experience. OTOH, I haven't attempted to do that in connection with inter-related radio buttons!

Another whole realm to think about is to use Adobe LiveCycle to build complexities like that. It can be done in LiveCycle, although its interface is difficult to get your head around, unless you use it a lot.

Mike Witherell

mikewitherell@jetsetcom.net

• 2. Re: Set actions for interactive forms in InDesign CS6
            Julie at JC Level 1

I'll put the text in layers and see if I can figure it out although I hoping to do everything in InDesign this time. I watched a video on the basics for ID and it showed that it each item chose different text frames but it didn't show how they did it. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Set actions for interactive forms in InDesign CS6
              Julie at JC Level 1

I did get it to work but with the help of Acrobat too. I made my text fields as Buttons with different names so that I could choose them later. I chose "Hidden until Triggered" too. I then stacked them on top of each other where I wanted them to appear (in the same layer) so it looks messy but it works. Once I made all my radio buttons and text boxes below, I exported to PDF and did the rest there.

For each radio button, I did the following:

Action - Mouse Down, Hide/View Fields, then chose the text field name that I wanted to appear and picked "Show".

and also

Action - Mouse Up, Hide/View Fields, then chose all of the other text fields that I want to hide and picked "Hide".

Now that this works though, I need to figure out how to do this with a combo/dropdown box instead. Hmmm. It seems like since there's one field that contains a list rather than all separate fields (buttons) and actions, that it may not work? Any ideas?