3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 7:42 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I duplicate a clip from the timeline?

jedokie Level 1

In a sports video I want to duplicate a clip to the project files, then stretch the time of the clip to slow motion, add a title that says " Let's watch that in slow motion" and then insert the slow motion clip after the original clip to make sort-of an instant replay for my grandson. I don't know how to duplicate the clip and put it in "project files" and I'm not sure the best way to make the file a slow motion file. I've looked at the "Help" section but for some reason the blue links there don't function to lead me to the video clips of explanation.

• 1. Re: How do I duplicate a clip from the timeline?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Just hold down ALT while dragging the clip in the sequence.  It'll create a copy, to which you can then apply the slow motion.

• 2. Re: How do I duplicate a clip from the timeline?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You may be over thinking this. There are easier ways. Jim's way is simple to use.

Or, how about this instead?

Put the clip on the timeline at full speed, then put it on the timeline again, and stretch the time to show it at 25% speed (for example). Put the title over the slower clip and that's it.

This example video shows me putting the video on the timeline, then putting in a title I have already prepared over a copy of the clip held on the last frame, then the same video but set for slow motion using Time Remapping.

If the clip had been longer, I would have eased into the slow motion gradually over the first three seconds or so, but this clip just wasn't long enough for that.

• 3. Re: How do I duplicate a clip from the timeline?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steven suggests, the Clip on the Timeline is but an Instance of the one in the Project Panel. You can have many Instances of a Clip, and each can be Trimmed differently, if necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt