7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 3:29 AM by Harm Millaard

Workstation for DSLR Video Editing

thejohndejong

Hi There,

I've been scouring through these forums looking for the answer to some of the questions I have about building a new workstation.

I plan to upgrade from a MBP (2.53 GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 4gb DDR3) to a desktop PC in order to work together short films and documentaries.

I want to use CS6, and don't imagine too much use of AE, due to the fact the bulk of my work is documentaries, though I will be needing a good system for colour correction.

My main question is re: video cards. I want to keep my build sub $2000 if I can, so if anyone thinks the following specs are a bad idea, please let me know.

Also, I am completely new to PC buildings, so I'm sorry about the noob questions and set up (especially re: case, psu and fans). I have genuinely spent around 10 hours looking for answers on these forums, but have been unable to find anything that matched my queries exactly.

If there is another thread which answers my questions, please feel free to direct me there.

CPU: i7 3770 quad core

MB: ASrock Z77 extreme4

RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1866C10D-16GAB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 2GB

OS HDD: SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 120GB

Working HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

PSU: Corsair GS-600 V2 Power Supply

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Mid Tower Gaming Case Military Green

Cooling: (no idea...)

If anyone has any suggestions, or would like to tell me why I should change things, i would be incredibly grateful.

I'm not a gamer, so I will be using this system purely for video editing.

For that matter, I'm unsure whether to use Windows 8 or 7....

Anyhow, any feedback would be great.

• 1. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
          thejohndejong Level 1

The main trouble I've been having is working out what GPU to use...

I would gather that DLSR is at the lower end of requirements for processing power? I was looking at the Quadro 2000, but from all I can tell, the GTX 660 ti does a better job?

My main concern is fast rendering times, and being able to make use of the mercury playback feature.

Also, if anyone thinks I should steer away from certain manufacturers, or can get the same item cheaper from another manufacturer, let me know.

• 2. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I would gather that DLSR is at the lower end of requirements for processing power?

Just the other way around. DSLR is one of the most demanding codecs, only surpassed by RED or EPIC material.

Instead of the Sandisk SSD, which is Sandforce based and thus suffers from serious 'stable state' performance degradation, consider Corsair Neutron GTX, Kingston HyperX, Plextor M5 Pro or Samsung 840 Pro.

Unless you plan many LAN parties, why not get a big tower? More room for expansion, easier to install, better airflow and cooling. The last is especially important when using the i7-3770K, since it runs very hot.

I would suggest a 'gold+' labeled PSU, for instance the Corsair AX 760. It does not use more energy, but gives more stable and ripple free output, increasing reliability and longevity.

The GTX 660 Ti is a great and affordable video card, much better than a Quadro 2000 or 4000. Galaxy is not the first brand name to come to my mind, I would think about the A-names like Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, PNY, Point-of-view, Zotac to name a few.

If fast rendering is important to you, consider upping your memory to 32 GB.

• 3. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
              thejohndejong Level 1

Thanks Harm, your posts here and elsewhere on the forum have been incredibly helpful.

Happy with all the suggestions made and will definitely take into consideration.

3 follow ups-

Will the 660ti take advantage of Pr's cupa features? ( I notice is have a higher cupa value than the more expensive and endorsed quadro 2000...?)

I chose the tower for portability reasons. Whilst I have a dedicated space, I will be collaborating and moving a bit... Any towers you recommend? (Preferably that look sleek and have adequate cooling)

Finally, will I need additional cooling? (And aside from space, will the selected case be adequate?)

Thanks so much for your help! So hard to find info about the 600 series compatibility with Pr cs6...

• 4. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
                thejohndejong Level 1

Furthermore, I wasn't looking at the 3770k - should I be?

I have no experience nor any plans to overclock. Is it something I should start reading up on?

• 5. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Go to MPE Gain Chart and see for yourself where the GTX 660 (including the Ti) fits in. You need to apply the 'hack', but that is a simple text line to be added to two files.

OK, my case is a bit bigger, some call it a fridge, but I have put it on coasters for moveable purposes. Makes it very easy to move it from one room to another with minimal effort. See Planning & Building a NLE System

Fractal Design and Lian Li have towers that are well built, give ample room and good cooling, but - best of all IMO - are nice designs, no gamers looks to it.

As to what cooling you need, you may have a look at Cooling.

• 6. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
                    thejohndejong Level 1

Thanks for those links. I'll read up on those for sure. Any thoughts re: over clocking the CPU for dslr editing?

Thanks so much.

• 7. Re: Workstation for DSLR Video Editing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Effectively only the i7-3770K allows decent overclocking, since it is an unlocked CPU. For DSLR material overclocking will make a significant difference in performance, because it relies so much on CPU performance.  The i7-3770K can easily be overclocked to 4.4 GHz.