5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 7:04 AM by Rick Gerard

Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]

GSudhan

Where shall I edit the Global preferences to pre-define both the anchor point & position to 0,0 & 0,0 , when inserting anything into the comp.

Please help!!!

• 1. Re: Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is no such thing. If you need to set such properties en mass, look into scripting or manualyl type them in across multoiple selected layers with the same properties revealed.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]
            GSudhan Level 1

Thanks Mylenium,

But I know this half-story before, what I'm looking for is,are there any kind of init.py to modify, because I need this to happen everytime I insert anything into the comp,without bothering for a runtime script, because in my long-line of work(23040*56 pixels) I deal with more than 100 tiny footages & pre-comps.

So now can anyone help!!!

This could make my life a lot more easier, and this is a very indispensable option for AE I would say!

• 3. Re: Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make an animation preset with the anchor point set to 0,0, select all your footage in a comp and click..

The problem is that footage anchor points and comp centers have always been set up this way in AE and there's no way to change Anchor Point in the Project Pannel.

As Mylenium suggested, write up a script and use that to import your footage instead of  importing using File>Import.

• 4. Re: Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]
                GSudhan Level 1

Wow, simple & effective solution,

But too bad we cant map a keyboard shortcut for the animation preset!!!

Thank you Rick.

• 5. Re: Pre-define anchor point & position when inserting into the comp [Globally]
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have more than 250 animation presets right now for things that I commonly use. I store them in a Dropbox folder and there's an alias in my Documents/Adobe/After Effects CS5.5 and Documents/Adobe/After Effects CS6 folder named User Presets that points to the Dropbox folder where my custom presets are stored. That way, every machine and every version of AE I have active can access the presets I have filed. I also store a spreadsheet in DropBox with the names of these presets and a description of what they do for reference. The presets do everything from setup automated slide shows based on in and out points of layers, add captions to videos, set up composites, and just about every other 'cool' effect or expression I've ever written. It's a huge time saver and now, more than ever, you need to save every second you can on your AE projects so you can have a life, see your family, and pay the bills.

I'm glad your problem is solved. BTW, Apply your preset once then, for the rest of the session you have a keyboard shortcut that will apply the last animation preset. It's right here:

preset.jpg

Translated: Cmnd/Ctrl + Shirt + Alt/Option + F

It would help to mark this thread answered if you feel like it is.

1 person found this helpful