16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 2:33 PM by fran adobe

Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac

goebifx

Hi,

I read that an Upgrade from CS 3 Win to CS 6 Mac is possible if I buy the CS6 Upgrade Mac in the same language as CS3 Win - Then install it and type in the serial and the old win serial. Ist that correct?

Bye Matthias

• 1. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
          [scott] Level 6

I don't beleive Adobe allows upgrades for CS6 from anything other than CS5. You'll have to call customer service. I think you may be able to get a creative cloud subscription at a discount, but that's far short of an actual perpetual license upgrade.

When Adobe did allow upgrades form older versions, cross-grades were done by signing a form that states you destroyed all the old software and then Adobe reissued a new serial number to you for the other platform. Windows numbers don't work on a Mac and vice versa.

• 2. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
            goebifx Level 1

But you can buy upgrades on Amazon that say that you can upgrade from CS3. And they are sold by Adobe directly. That doesn't make sense.

• 3. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
              goebifx Level 1

ok it seemes like there are versions out there that still can update from CS3,4,5 to CS6. but they are not available by adobe directly.

• 4. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Platform transfers must be handled directly by Adobe because it involves switching serial numbers. Whatever you may have found on Amazon therefore is probably irrelevant, though of course just one month after the legacy upgrade path timed out it's quite possible that some resellers may still have a stockpile of elegible packages from last year... Make sure to ask the right questions before making a buying decision so you don't end up with an unusable upgragde package that refuses your serial.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                  goebifx Level 1

adobe says: "You can buy an upgrade from a reseller, if they still have such upgrade licences, no matter which platform, but if you want to use it you have to unlock the licence. for that you have to call adobe directly."  so this is the way to go i believe.

• 6. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                    OldBob1957 Level 4

Edit to change to:

Never mind. It appears you are already (wisely) making certain you are dealing with an authorized Adobe reseller (and avoiding the pirates).

--OB

• 7. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                      goebifx Level 1

yea i hope everything works. i think amazon (not marketplace) should be a reseller i can trust. we'll see ;-)

• 8. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                        [scott] Level 6

Be aware, the CS6 upgrade was unlike any previous version upgrade. Adobe changed what could be done. If you have CS3 and want to buy a CS5 upgrade.. then you can no problem. But if you have CS3, a CS6 upgrade isn't going to work. CS6 needs to see CS4 or later numbers to upgrade. And even that was time-limted. The only sure fire way you can use a CS6 upgrade is to already own CS5 and to be installing it on the same platform.

You're really better off calling Adobe Customer Service and going over your options with them before you spend any money on anything.

• 9. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

There is no longer an upgrade path to CS6 from any version older than CS5, as I understand it.  The ability to upgrade from Photoshop CS3 or CS4 expired 3 weeks ago.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

By the way I ran across the following wording here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

"Starting with the release of Creative Suite 6, individual upgrades are available for purchase only through Adobe.com.*"

"* Upgrades for volume licensing customers are available on Adobe.com or through channel partners"

Sure sounds like you can't get there from here to me.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                              goebifx Level 1

That's not entirey true. I asked the Support and they told me it is Ok if I buy an Upgrade from CS3 to CS6 from a reseller. They got some left. Adobe itself does not sell them anymore but they work. The only twist is, that you have to call Adobe if you change the platform.

• 12. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                                Level 5

You are misinformed, goebfix.  Happens a lot.

• 13. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                                  goebifx Level 1

Ok so it was even more easy than everyone said. I installed the upgrade it asked for the serial and after that for the serial of the old version. I filled in everything, logged in with my Adobe-ID and everything was ready. No phone call, nothing else. It just worked out of the box! That's how such things should work, nice :-)

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

I'm glad to be proven wrong!  Congratulations.

What store did you get that from, if you don't mind my asking? 

That can be a possible alternative we forum folks can propose to the odd straggler who has just missed the upgrade boat directly with Adobe.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                                      goebifx Level 1

Yes of course ... I bought an Upgrade on the german Amazon-Store. The title was "Adobe Photoshop CS6 Upgrade von CS3, CS4, CS5 englisch MAC".

Good Luck.

- Matthias

• 16. Re: Crossgrade CS3 Win to CS 6 Mac
                                        fran adobe

Same here.  I have been the most loyal Adobe client they have.  I do own Adobe Lightroom 4 and Adobe Photoshop CS4.  I wanted to upgrade Photoshop to CS6 and I just heard the shocking news that ALL the money you have been investing in Photoshop throughout the years do not count towards the upgrade of CS6.   Why do Adobe want to hurt their most loyal customers? Isnt' it easier to re-sell to an existing customer than to bring new customers anyway?  I am not "impressed" with the new bells and whistles of CS6.  I am just annoyed of the message you get every time you export photos from Lightroom to Photoshop.

I also, do not make any money working with Adobe products.  Photography for me is just a Hobby.  Unbelievable.   Francisco