5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 9:44 AM by Jim_Simon

Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read

mjscox

I have a long sequence which I now want to grade. I didn't grade the individual clips prior to editing them into a 70 minute timeline. I have tried the following without success:

Exporting to SpeedGrade the Premiere timeline: it will do this, but leaves chunks of clips brown, as blank info in the SG timeline, so if I grade this, I'll have an incomplete graded file to apply back to the Premiere timeline;

importing to SpeedGrade a ProRes 422 file which I then asked SG to divide into clips (the app quit after taking 40 minutes to examine the file, which it did successfully, but when I asked it to make clips, it quit)

exporting from Premiere an EDL which I then apply to the QT ProRes file in SG. This is not accepted because there are certain key commands which SG won't accept, but there's no way to know how to export a "clean" EDL from PP to SG without those commands (I even went into the EDL using TextEdit to see if I could delete certain lines, but that was obviously a losing game)

Suggestions welcome!

• 1. Re: Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Exporting to SpeedGrade the Premiere timeline: it will do this, but leaves chunks of clips brown, as blank info in the SG timeline

Huh?

• 2. Re: Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read
            mjscox Level 1

Thanks for your helpful comment, Jim. What I meant is obvious if you've ever seen it on a SpeedGrade timeline: clips which are brown in color, have no information, and represent parts of the imported timeline which were, for whatever reason, not transferred/imported into SG. So you have an incomplete timeline, which means, if you were to work all day and all night on it and, say, ignore those "brown clips", you'd then be saving and exporting back to Premiere a color-graded but incomplete set of instructions, and I don't know what that would do to the project, nor am I going to try. Does that make it kind of clearer?

By the way, FYI, there's a new e-book on SpeedGrade, which I hope PeachPit Press will print and publish as a normal hand-holdable book:

Adobe SpeedGrade: Getting Started, 1/e

You can get it for the Kindle or the Kindle app.

Message was edited by: mjscox

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I have exported plenty to SpeedGrade.  Never seen what you're talking about.  Send to SpeedGrade creates DPX files of your sequence and they always show up in SG.  (At least for me, hence the confusion.)

If they don't for you, it might be best to take that up in the SpeedGrade forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/speedgrade?view=discussions

• 4. Re: Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read
                mjscox Level 1

Yes, I tried to find that forum and couldn't which is why I posted here, but since I have you on the line, and since you apparently have lots of experience with SG, can I ask you:

Because of the way I've done this documentary I can only grade it now that the picture/sound is locked. If I export a ProRes flattened movie into SG, it will have the effects, titles etc which is not what SG wants, right? So do I duplicate a timeline in Premiere, delete the titles, etc, (what else: effects?) and then export to SG?

If I export the timeline (using a MacPro but not the fastest newest model, 16GB Ram) it takes about three or four hours to export the DPX files. I'm trying it again, but don't hold any hope that it will export without some of those incomplete clips. I don't know what causes them. Could it be sections with effects, with stacked clips which have wipes and other stuff, combining them in the ProRes export to a single image but in a timeline exported to SG maybe its not reading that info?

Whatever you can suggest would be great.

• 5. Re: Exporting an EDL from Premiere CS6 that SpeedGrade can read
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I actually ended up passing on SpeedGrade for my projects.  As you've observed, there are problems with any method used to get the project in there.  Instead, I ended up using Adjustment Layers right inside PP for my CC and grading.  I find it a very powerful new method, and using MB Looks and Colorista (and occasionally the built-in effects), I have most of the tools and power I need for my projects.

I may come back to SG, if Adobe ever implements a full round-trip Dynamic Link connection for it.  But until SG shows me everything I see in PP, including titles, effects, transitions, AE comps, etc. and allows individual grading of every element, and also allows me to go back into PP to make any changes without losing the work I've already done in SG, then it just won't be useful for my needs.