8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 11:52 AM by bustamant

smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?

bustamant Level 1

Hello.

I'd like to set up a document containing two multi page texts, one on left, one on right pages, for which I'd prefer to use smart text reflow. All I'd come up with is setting up four Master Pages as A-Master, linking the first to the third, and the second to the fourth page. But all this does is limiting the text reflow to two pages (pp 1 and 2).

Would anyone know how?

• 1. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Put master text frames on boththe left and right pages of a two-page master spread, but DON'T link them to each other. Taht will give you independent text threads on the left and right pages when autoflowing, so I'm going to guess it will work with SmartText Reflow as well, but since the first thing I do is turn that off I can't say for sure.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
            bustamant Level 1

Hello, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, with the text boxes not threaded, smart text reflow remains inactive.

• 3. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Someone else may have an idea, but it sounds to me like that means it can't be done with STR.

• 4. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We've seen quite a few "how do I handle parallel texts in ID?" questions here, and the answer is 1) typically "do it by hand, automation here is not worth the effort" and 2) usually not what the asker wants to hear. I can see why you'd prefer to use Smart Text Reflow, but how strong is your preference? What is it about your project that makes this solution unpalatable?

1) Set up the masters as per your discussion with Peter

2) Hold down ctrl-shift-P (new page) for a while until you have Too Many Pages. You know, hundreds of 'em.

3) Flow in your text

4) Make your document as long as you want

5) Delete unnecessary pages once you're done

If you can tell us why you prefer to use Smart Text Reflow, and how it fits into your workflow, then maybe we can figure out some way for you to use it.

• 5. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
                  bustamant Level 1

Hello

Thanks, both of you. The issue at hand I can handle without str. It's just that I hadn't come across this problem before, and since I assumed that 1) this was quite a common demand (any longer bilingual presentation and the like), and 2) there should be a simple solution to it, I thought I might ask in time, that is: before the problem becomes urgent in some assignment to come.

Thanks again

• 6. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

I have an inkling of memory that in-tools.com might have a plug-in for this.

One other way to have InDesign do it as you expect is to file a formal feature request here: Wishform, then wait for several new releases of ID to perhaps see it. User requests are often incorporated into ID.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 7. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
                      Michael Gianino Level 4

The thing you want to do (unless I've misunderstood) can be done to a point. As described in this link, Smart Text Reflow will let you end up with the document you want, but maybe not exactly using the steps you prefer to take.

I've always used Smart Text Flow to place text, so I wasn't aware of the fact that you can have it add pages while you type. If that's what you want, you will need to have pages already set up, but that can be done in seconds. All you need to do is follow Peter's advise to place a text frame on each master page, but don't link them.

When you go to the first document page, just place a long text file* and click into the center of the page while holding the shift key (this will ensure that you override the master frame and not create new frames that aren't based on the master—in which case those non-master frames won't conform to the odd or even only scheme you want). That will create as many pages as you have text, but the text will only be threaded through the odd pages. You can then select all (with the text cursor in the frame) and delete (the text), leaving only the empty threaded frames. Now, just place the same text file on page 2, clicking again in the center of the page with the shift key, and it will create a second set of threaded frames, this time only on the even pages. When you select all and delete, you will be left with a file that you can type into (if that's your goal) and the text will only stay on odd or even pages.

So, the only thing you can't do with master frames that aren't linked that you can do with linked master frames is add pages as you type. It will add pages as you place, so you have to do that first, but afterward, it will flow the text as you expect.

* To create a quickie text file, do this:

1. Make a large text frame (I like to use the whole page, including both pasteboards and the page area in one frame)
                      2. Command B to increase the number of columns (I usually use 10, but that's up to you)
                      3. Lower the font size to 3pt (to create more text than 12pt would)
                      4. Text>Fill with Placeholder Text
                      5. Select All
                      6. Change the font back to 12 (or just reapply the default paragraph style)
                      7. File>Export (pick Text Only, but RTF or Tagged Text would work just the same) and name the file

A frame using a US Letter size document will easily create 40 pages of text that way, but if you need more, start with a larger frame on a larger document.

• 8. Re: smart text reflow left to left, right to right page?
                        bustamant Level 1

Excellent, thanks so much all of you. This works even for more complicated arrangements. For community use, I'll try to sum this up into a brief recipe:

basic:

• Enable smart text reflow (Preferences / Type)
                        • On facing master pages, create one text frame on each. Don't link them.
                        • On first document page (left), place a long text document into its text frame (hold down shift key, click into the frame to place). Creates linked text frames from left page to left page.
                        • On second document page (right), do the same.

somewhat advanced:

Linking text frames odd to odd / even to even page works in the way described also when there are other text frames linked together even to odd on the master pages. E.g.

• set up  two linked text frames on odd and even page, and beside them only one frame on either  even or the odd page in master pages.
                        • Place a text document into that single, unlinked frame (holding down shift key) at its first appearance in the document.

Thanks again. You're awesome.

jmb