• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Hostek the only game in town?

Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending a significant amount of hours rebuilding my site in ColdFusion, I've run into a snag.

The basic Hostek plan worked for me because it was roughly the same cost as my old PHP host.  Unfortunately, I just realized that the basic plan only offers 1 measly GB of space, compared to the 10GB plan I'm leaving.  1GB isn't even enough to host my photos alone, nevermind the database and CFM files.  In fact the next tier up at 5GB only works if I never add another photo.

The next tier above that doesn't work within our budget (it would if Hostek would allow me to host my wife's website, which is already on Hostek, and mine on that plan, but of course each plan only allows ONE site).

I'm sort of surprised that with disk space being the cheapest part of hosting that Hostek is being so stingy with space.  I've looked around and haven't been able to find any more reasonable alternatives.  What hosts do people here use?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your budget? It looks like the next plan up is $13/month and offers unlimited storage. Is that really out of your budget? Is shared hosting really the best option for your site?  Do you care about the success of your site or is it just a simple site on which you expect no more than 2-4 concurrent users?

jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it seems like I'm being really cheap, but we recently went from two decent salaries to one, as my wife is struggling to get her new business off the ground.  Our expenses for getting her business going have been significant, so I'm really trying not to add too much additional expense for my personal hobbies (like my website).  While I call it a hobby, it's really also a way for me to improve my CF skills because I'm so limited with what I can code at my office.

I'm just a bit baffled with disk space being so cheap these days why the Hostek accounts are so tiny, not to mention you can only have one site per account, although I guess they don't want people getting cheap accounts and reselling them, which makes perfect sense.

On top of this, I recently realized that I have to keep my old PHP account because I have a bunch of domains parked there that I use for email and other things.  I thought about cfftp'ing my photos to my old PHP account to share that space, but that's probabaly a huge can of worms that I don't want to open.

Anyway, I was more wanting to see if there were other options rather than bicker about my finances, so sorry if this has all come across this way.  I guess I need to decide how to juggle all these things around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Thanks for the explanation, I understand.  We heavily invest into the fastest and most reliable stoarge possible, as a second measure of maintaining reliability we replicate everything and all our servers are backed up as well.  We believe in providing an affordable yet extremly reliable service.  In cases where customers needs don't fit into what we offer, we're more than happy to find an acceptable solution while continuing to offer an extremly reliable and valuable service.

You should have received my email already.

Jon C.

--

Jon Cavanaugh

Cloud/VPS Sales Engineer

Hostek.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks Jon!  I think I was replying as you were, so I didn't see your first post above.  I'll check my email, and thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jon: Thanks very much, and I replied to your email.  My current host has had some spam problems though, so I wanted to make sure you got it and it didn't end up blocked.

@Peter: That's a pretty cool idea, and something I might look at down the road if/when my photo album gets out of control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,  Just another idea to consider for your photo storage, you could consider using Amazon S3, $10GB will cost you less than $1/month you can also reduce prices further if you pick reduced redundancy storage. Good chance to learn a new skill set, and then your photos will not be bound by what host you are on. There is more to the S3 pricing than just the storage cost but for light use it should not amount to more than a penny or two.   I would go the S3 route before trying the cfftp route, but hopefully you have already worked out a solution with Hostek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, Thanks for your business. There's no need to look for another host, we can definitely work something out for you. I'll be emailing you shortly.

Jon C.

--

Jon Cavanaugh

Cloud/VPS Sales Engineer

Hostek.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation