6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 8:05 AM by Peter Spier

Rule to limit max characters per line

cristfc

Hi all, its my first post here!

I'am creating a document, and need indesing limiting max of 100 characters per line, how I do that?
      Was thinking about characters styles, and only place that I saw a possible character count was on "Drop caps and Nested Styles" (inside character style options)

Any clues?

Thanks all!

• 1. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need to adjust the frame width relative to the type size, though that won't guarantee an exact maximum count in a font with proprotional glyphs where some characters are wider than others.

Is this 100 character limit reall an absolute, or are you trying to have a line length that remains readable? More details would really help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a monowidth font.

Ariel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line
              cristfc Level 1

Thanks for reply Peter, and sorry my bad english..

Well, the document that I'am doing, has a rule which each line cannot exced 100 characters (or less)

Then, I was searching for some indesign resource that automate this task!

Thanks for help!

• 4. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line

I think this is going to be pretty difficult to accomplish without using a monospaced font as Ariel suggests, though I imagine it doucl be scripted to insert a forced line break after each 100 characters. The downside to that is, of course, that you cannot edit the text after running the script without changing the length of the lines.

What, exactly, is the reasoning behind this rule?

• 5. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line
                  cristfc Level 1

Thanks all for replies, I ending by adjusting text frame width as Peter sugested, but all tips were useful... and Peter, if you dont mind, where I find this force line break script? was thinking of doing this but no clue if I need download thi script or it came with indesign!

What I try do yesterday was messing with styles for example after 100 characters, include a line break and so... Probabbly impossible wihtout scripts?

Then, if I need first 5 characters from text in Yellow color, font size larger on start of paragraph, its impossible to do with styles, I guess

• 6. Re: Rule to limit max characters per line

As far as I know such a script doesn't already exist so it would need to be written (but I continue to thinnk this is a bad idea, and a senseless rule until you tell us why it's there). You can get help with scripting over inthe scripting forum: InDesign Scripting

The formatting  of the first five characters, as long as it's per paragraph, not per line, is pretty easy. Add a nested style to the paragraph style. Nested styles are character styles applied to different parts of the paragraph based on triggers that appear in the paragraph. In this case you would want to apply a style that increases the font size and changes the color to yellow through 5 characters.