15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 2:31 PM by shadowfax007

symbol corrupting on save?

shadowfax007 Level 1

Ok, I've got some real problems!

At first, I thought perhaps the animation was getting too big, so I looked into making it into 3 separate symbols (probably still a good idea if I can get to that point).

This seems to happen in different ways but it seems to be happening each time I open a project.  As an example, here's what went on just a few minutes ago when I opened the project:

Right now, I have a file called index_v21.html  that I just opened(a webpage build using Edge), with one symbol "banner1" being pulled into the page and run.

The first time I play it through, several of the "text objects"( from within the symbol "banner1") on the timeline are messed up.  Either they no longer fit and are "wrapping", or they are not turning off when they should, remaining for the entire sumbol run.

I go to the symbol "banner1" and play it - it plays fine (sometimes it too is messed up).

I go back to the page and now everything looks good (I didn'y change anything!).

SO, to be safe since I have several copies of this and am not sure which ones are correct, I re-save this project into a NEW, empty folder.

When I just ran the new project file, it ran just fine.  Now, however, the one that I made the copy of is again messed up, this time with something totally different (the "stage seems to have shrunk or something!).

If someone can let me know what they are using when they upload examples and such for the forums, I'll upload the 2 project files so someone can see what I mean :-)

Thanks

James

• 1. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi James,

You have storage space on your Creative Cloud account...you could zip the exported symbol, upload it there and then share it here. Or you could use dropbox and do the same.

hth,

Joe

• 2. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
            shadowfax007 Level 1

Thank Joe!

I've uploaded two edge project files (sorry for their size - 1mb each :-):

new_site2 = the site that worked before I copied it(no longer working).

https://creative.adobe.com/share/6f74e919-a077-440c-9353-b907728b80b7

new_hp_site_edge = the site that was copied(working).

https://creative.adobe.com/share/d371b7b1-efff-4182-8243-87dfb0a4208d

Thanks!

• 3. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
              shadowfax007 Level 1

Quick question - Do you mean just upload the "symbol" file by iteslf?

Also, how do I open just a symbol file in Edge?

Thanks again-

James

• 4. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                jbowden Adobe Employee

shadowfax007 wrote:

Quick question - Do you mean just upload the "symbol" file by iteslf?

Also, how do I open just a symbol file in Edge?

You can export a symbol from the Library panel, which encapsulates it in the .ansym file format. This symbol file can then be imported into the Library of another comp, with everything within the symbol remaining intact.

You can then drag an instance from the Library onto the Stage.

• 5. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                  shadowfax007 Level 1

Thanks!

In the meantime, I exported the symbols, bothworking and not working (marked in the file name):

https://creative.adobe.com/share/bd668c88-cc2f-49ec-a5c8-510b5382cc3b

I several that do not work, each developing their own problems (and I'm sure I've contributed trying to fix them :-)

James

• 6. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                    shadowfax007 Level 1

ok, one last thing:

I opened a project that was working (the sysbol, that is).

I copied it into a new folder.

I then exported the banner1 symbol and put in the new project folder in a folder called symbols (for my own safe-keeping).

Then I played the new copy of the project.  Again, the symbol was all messed up.

I went to the "symbol's stage" and looked in the timeline where I saw the error but everything looked fine - I did NOT touch anything.

I went back to the "stage" screen of the project and tried playing the project again.

This time, the symbol played just fine, as did it on the next try!

Tis is what has been driving me nuts - one time it plays, the next it doesn't :-)

James

• 7. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                      jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi James,

Sorry, but I am unable to download your zipped file. When you share it, be sure to click "Allow Download".

Thanks,

Joe

• 8. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                        shadowfax007 Level 1

Sorry Joe-

I didn't catch that!

I've allowed downloading of the files.

To add to my last post, the symbol started once again to mess up ( around time: 48, the listings are often squished up and the item : Sales/Distribution systems seems to show up from there to teh end of the symbol file instead of dissapearing within 4-5 seconds.).

I quit and reloaded Edge and now the file index1a.html that was good is now messed up worse than before as far as the symbol goes!

James

• 9. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                          shadowfax007 Level 1

I did figure omething out...

I have a folder with fonts in it and when I changed folders, I didn't think about Edge not copying that folder over.  Once I did this, some of the problems went away while others persisted.

Is it possible that, other than the script calling the External Fonts, it isn't loading some of the basic CSS until later?

I ask because After reloading Edge and opening a project, the symbol file is still messing up font sizes, causing items to wrap (That's my guess anyway!).  There is still another problem of an item (the Sales/Distribution systems text from above) still does NOT change opacity to 0 when it should.

When I run the symbol for the second time (seems to be a pattern) the problems went away, including the opacity problem above...

James

• 10. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi James,

Got your file...will check on it later.

Thanks,

Joe

• 11. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                              shadowfax007 Level 1

Thanks Joe - I really appreciate it!

Also, any critique or tips would be appreciated - Just remember, this is my first Edge project :-)

James

• 12. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                                jbowden Adobe Employee

Something bad is happening...whenever I try to import either symbol, Edge Animate hangs.

Are you able to import these into a new comp?

Thanks,

Joe

• 13. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                                  shadowfax007 Level 1

Joe-

Yes, I've noticed the "hanging" when I try to load into a new comp.  Once in awhile if I walk away, it finally loads but often times it does not and I have to quit and retry.  I assumed this wasn't right but having never imported a symbol before I wasn't sure :-)

Can you think of anything I can do?

Tomorrow, I can re-upload the symbols again if that might help?

There are about 30 images but most of them are rather small..

I also have the complete site files zipped here:

https://creative.adobe.com/share/d371b7b1-efff-4182-8243-87dfb0a4208d

and here:

https://creative.adobe.com/share/6f74e919-a077-440c-9353-b907728b80b7

James

• 14. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                                    shadowfax007 Level 1

I don't know if this helps but here is the last "working" version.

In this version, one of the "slide out text boxes" - "sales-distribution_systems" leaves the stage but comes back in a few seconds but watching the symbol for this "banner1" it does not do this.

Also, they both seem to behave differently the second time running through the animation.

I just took a look at the online version and noticed a problem I've seen before where the beginning of the animation is messed up.  Again, looking via Edge, this wasn't happening when I chose to "publish" this version - it was working "almost perfectly", with the exception of the  "sales-distribution_systems" text (but I have seen it happen in several versions other than this one).

PS - The "Page" animations seem NOT to have a problem - it is only the symbol (banner1) that has the problem.

• 15. Re: symbol corrupting on save?
                                      shadowfax007 Level 1

ok, I've uploaded a new file and removed the others to avois confusion :-)

Here's the url:

https://creative.adobe.com/share/0d6d92b2-b58e-453f-be03-d9e7dbdb50ae

And here's the same project file on the server:

http://higherpowered.com/edge/v2/index_v1a.html

So far, I have been able to copy this project file and everything seems to be working.

I also think I fixed the problem with the text wrapping, although I'm still not sure why it wasn't picking up the font like it should.  I had the "text fields" pretty tight (There was no room between the text and the "text border".  I streatched out the area that holds the text, so if the font doesn't fit, it now has more room to fit.

This is the best copy so far since the problems started.  The few MAJOR problems I'm still having are:

1. The "sales/distribution systems text re-appears on the next screen after the opacity is turned to "0" (about 2/3 of the way through).  I haven't been able to see an reason for this.

2. I cannot seem to copy this project with any consisancy.  One time it copies the same and yet another time I copy the project (into a new folder) and the "banner1" symbol is all garbled.

3. From this project, I exported the "banner1" symbol and tried to import it into a new project.  Once again, the symbol was all messed up!

Also, I'm trying to break the symbol in two sections (between the "design" section and the "develop" section).  I've tried again and again to copy the symbol into a new project (so as not to be working on the original) and it always gets garbled to the point I cannot use it.

Any help is appreciated - I'm pulling my hair out :-)

James