1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 12:06 AM by Luigi (8 BIT PLATOON)

Connection to external xml file

Phimigor

How do I use an external xml file as a data source for my LiveCycle form?

I have an xml file on my server that is updated every few days by a script. My LiveCycle form is on the server and can be pushed to the client by the click of a button on a web page or similar. Is it possible to have the LiveCycle form refresh its data before being sent to the client, or every few days?

I was thinking that on the load of the form, a JavaScript function could check if the form is on the server, or check if the xml file is there, and if it is, update itself, else do nothing.

I would rather keep the xml file and the form seperate as other applications and scripts make use of the xml file.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Connection to external xml file
          Luigi (8 BIT PLATOON)

1) If the form is being used internally on the same network (ie: the xml file is always availabe via network to th form), the form can query local files, but this requires advanced scripting.

I haven't done it with shared network drives tho. - if you do, I use solution two

2)  Assuming you use LC Reader Extensions and the form is 'all over', not always on the originating network.

- Expose the XML file via a webservice (if it is not sensitive data)

- Get the form to query the webservice

3)But if you have LiveCycle installed with Forms.

Use the readXML component and then bind the XML with the Form.