9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 12:24 PM by John T Smith

Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?

OceanSparkz

I purchased Elements 10 in the app store not too long ago. It looks great and everything, but I can't do a single thing without it claiming that "A serious error has occured" and that it "needs to close". I've tried reinstalling, but there's not much else I can do since it came straight from the app store. I don't typically buy from the app store, but I thought it was a reliable source. What's going on?

• 1. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These questions below may be for a different product... but the information you need to supply is the same, for the products you use

More information needed for someone to help... please click these links and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-Effective questions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

-How to get help quickly http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with John. It's hard to say what you're doing wrong without knowing what you're doing.

What operating system are you using? If you are on a Windows machine, have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates, which don't install automatically?

How fast is your processor. How much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your C or main drive? Do you have more than one hard drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is it? Are you using Premiere Elements' Add Media tools to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

And what exactly are you doing when you get these crashes?

• 3. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
              OceanSparkz Level 1

Apologies, I'm not used to forums.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4. I purchased the software via the Apple App Store, so I don't have a disk or instruction manual. I'm 4GB of RAM and I have about 100 GB of free space on my hard drive.

Basically, whenever I make an action like importing video, saving, or exporting, a prompt comes up telling me that "A serious error has occured and Premiere Elements 10 needs to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project." This happens every time, and I'm unsure of what else I can do, seeing as I purchased it as a download.

• 4. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?

Again, please provide us all of the information we need or we probably won't be able to help you.

• 5. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
                  OceanSparkz Level 1

Okay, I'll do my best to answer each question:

Proccessor:         2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory:             4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Free Space:         85.95 GB

Hard Drives:       One External Hard Drive

Camera:              Canon Rebel T3

Format:              MOV and JPEG

Resolution:        1280 x 720p

I pull my video files straight from the SD card.

The crashes occur when I:

• Choose File/Get Media From/Files and Folders  (or any of the options given)
                  • Click "Save"
                  • Choose Window/Get Media
                  • Perform any similar action

The crashes in question consist of a prompt immediately appearing, with only an "OK" option. The application then shuts down, and a report is sent to Apple.

Prompt:

Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Editor to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.

Is there anything else you need?

• 6. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?

Have you installed the driver pack that came with this camera to your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, what project settings did you select?

For working with this type of video, you'll really be much better off with version 11. Version 10 is still pretty much for miniDV, HDV and AVCHD camcorder video.

Though I'm deeply concerned that pretty much ANYTHING you do crashes the program.

I've used version 10 on both Lion and Mountain Lion without so muc as a hiccup, so it promise you it's not a bug in the program. I'm sure you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I'm just afraid that what's going on might be beyond the program. Quite likely a conflict with another program on your drive. What professional "CS" software do you have installed?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
                      OceanSparkz Level 1

The camera didn't come with any sort of driver.

I mostly choose the DSLR settings. I haven't tried every setting yet, but so far every one of them has the same problem.

Since I was using the app store, Elements 10 was the only version available. I'll look into 11, but is there a way for me to get a refund on version 10?

The only CS software I have is a photoshop trial. I'll try removing it and see if it makes a difference

• 8. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Normally you do not need to install camera drivers, most of the time there aren't any.

I would copy the files straight from the camera onto the harddrive.

Then import from the harddrive into Elements.

See if that will help.

• 9. Re: Why Can't I Do Anthing in Elements 10?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>purchased the software via the Apple App Store, so I don't have a disk or instruction manual

>is there a way for me to get a refund on version 10

I think that will be a question for Apple... especially since what you purchased is a download with no disc