6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 10:19 PM by juliangwatts

Clip marker problems

juliangwatts

Hello, I have noticed that clip markers totally malfunction when used on any video clip that has been linked to a new audio clip in Premiere Pro CS6.  This is a pretty basic editing need.  Am I missing something or is this a bug?  If it is a bug are there any work arounds?

Thanks,

Julian

• 1. Re: Clip marker problems
          shooternz Level 6

malfunction?

• 2. Re: Clip marker problems
            juliangwatts Level 1

I would like to link video footage with externally recorded audio (from a boom, or narration extracted from another clip) and watch these linked clips in the time line.  As I watch them I would like to add markers to the actual clips by using the keyboard shortcut for "add clip marker".  But when I try this I run into a series of problems including but not limited to:

-Premiere pro creates the marker symbol in the linked clips in the timeline, but I am unable to click these markers to access their info/make comments, nor am I able to navigate to next/previous marker. 

-The markers do not show up in the source monitor when double clicking a clip, even though they are clip markers, not markers in the timeline.

-When watching one of these linked clips in the source monitor, clicking the "add marker" button creates one marker (again only visible in the clip in the timeline and unclickable) and the button becomes greyed out after adding one marker.

So it seems as though it is impossible to use clip markers with clips that have been linked.  Is that not a crucial capability in other editing software? Synching up video and audio and then watching though and marking the clips?  I seem to remember doing this in Final Cut Pro 7.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Clip marker problems
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              -Premiere pro creates the marker symbol in the linked clips in the timeline, but I am unable to click these markers to access their info/make comments, nor am I able to navigate to next/previous marker. 

This is unfortunately the way things work now in CS6, for all clips..  You're better off loading the clip into the Source Monitor for Marking, which eliminates the second issue.

And please do let Adobe know that we want timeline navigation of Clip Markers back.  (I still don't understand why the hell they took it out.)

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 4. Re: Clip marker problems
                juliangwatts Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.  The main problem is that when taking a video clip, deleting its audio track, and linking it with a different audio track, it becomes impossible to make, view, or edit clip markers, even when viewing and working in the source monitor.  If we were working with video clips that already had the preferred audio attached, I would definitely take your advice and just load the clips directly in the source monitor for marking.  But if you try taking a clip, deleting its audio, and then linking it with a new audio clip, you will see that not only is it impossible to work with clip markers from the timeline, it is also impossible to work with them from the source monitor!

Thanks again for the feedback Jim, any other insights would be greatly appreciated!

• 5. Re: Clip marker problems
                  shooternz Level 6

Merge the clips instead of Linking them.

• 6. Re: Clip marker problems
                    juliangwatts Level 1

Thanks for the idea shooternz, but it looks like merging the clips instead of linking them has the same results.  I watch the newly merged clip in the timeline create a clip marker  in that clip, but when I double click that clip to open it in the source monitor, where I should be able to see all my markers and open them, comment on them, and skip between them, there are still no markers.  And again, when I try watching this merged clip in the source monitor, I cannot use key commands to add markers, and using the marker button creates one of these unusable markers in the clip, and then greys out the marker button (until I double click the clip in the timeline, which reloads the clip in the source monitor, and ungreys the marker button).  Pretty strange, but I guess this is just how Premiere Pro is with clip markers on merged and linked clips?  Or is it a bug?