• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs: Master Page vs. SSL

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exploring the option of inserting breadcrumbs as a master page placeholder. But I have noticed that the placeholder version of the breadcrumbs does not offer the same parameters as in SSL. Options for top/bottom and right/center/left are missing.

I would rather retain more control over this - and the option to make future changes with the more complete parameters in the SSL. However, I don't know if there is some compelling reason to do it in master pages, something that I might not have knowledge of now as I learn these features?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Hi all

Jeff is correct. When Breadcrumbs are added via the Single Source Layout recipe, they are added to each and every HTML topic. Because you are doing this on a global basis, you see the options for placement.

When adding them via a Master Page, you are free to insert the placeholder wherever you like on the Master Page. So there is no need to provide placement options as the placement is determined by where you insert the placeholder. Additonally, if using the Master Page method, you may be m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the SSL method, but I thought if you used the Master Page method, you got to choose where and how the placeholder appeared, but I don't know this for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Jeff is correct. When Breadcrumbs are added via the Single Source Layout recipe, they are added to each and every HTML topic. Because you are doing this on a global basis, you see the options for placement.

When adding them via a Master Page, you are free to insert the placeholder wherever you like on the Master Page. So there is no need to provide placement options as the placement is determined by where you insert the placeholder. Additonally, if using the Master Page method, you may be more choosy about exactly which topics receive the breadcrumbs.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The project I inherited had the breadcrumbs selected in the SSL options, but I needed to have pop-ups display without the breadcrumbs, hence I added it as a placeholder inside one master page that is applied to all topics. The other master page  I created for the pop-ups has no breadcrumbs placeholder so this works well for this project. I think Rick gave me this idea to use in the WebHelp SSL generated inside RH 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp