12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 7:03 AM by deejjjaaaa

My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw

Przemysław Sakrajda Level 1

I have the latest updates for Lightroom (4.3) Photoshop (13.1.2) and Camera Raw (7.3).

My Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR is listed as one of supported cameras; however, I can't see it in Lightroom develop mode nor in CameraRaw plugin in Photoshop. They show only support for X-100 for RAF format (also when convertedto DNG), but nothing for JPG. Adobe Lens Profile Downloader doesn't have my cam eighter.

Any ideas?

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

• 1. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You camera IS supported for raw-development which is what the “supported list of cameras” is about.  There is just no lens-profile for it.   Adobe only makes lens profiles for select cameras, not every camera they support raws of.

If there is no community-supplied profile for it in the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, then you’ll have to make your own or do without.

• 3. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
            deejjjaaaa Level 2

note for some manufacturers like Panasonic the optics correction is done automaticaly (and mandatory) in ACR w/o any lens profile shown because the raw files contain the information and Adobe decided to apply it in every case w/o giving users an option.

• 4. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
              Yammer Level 4

deejjjaaaa wrote:

note for some manufacturers like Panasonic the optics correction is done automaticaly (and mandatory) in ACR w/o any lens profile shown because the raw files contain the information and Adobe decided to apply it in every case w/o giving users an option.

Really? That's news to me. You don't happen to have a reference to this info do you, please? I'm not saying I don't believe you , I just like to see things like this for myself. Call me a cynic.

• 5. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Yammer P wrote:

You don't happen to have a reference to this info do you, please?

Eric Chan has mentioned this several times...Adobe works with the camera makers and processes the lens correction directly into the processing automatically. A variety of camera makers such as Panasonic, Samsung and a few others are doing this. Not sure about Nikon and Canon although my Canon S90 has the auto corrections...

• 6. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                  Yammer Level 4

I see. I must have not been paying proper attention. What sort of cameras are we talking about? I assume not detachable lens camera likes the Lumix G system, or Olympus PEN, or Sony NEX. I'm guessing they are enthusiast sealed compacts like Canon G10, or Lumix LX5. Am I right?

• 7. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

More or less...there may be a few removable lens cameras included...

• 8. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                      deejjjaaaa Level 2

> I assume not detachable lens camera likes the Lumix G system, or Olympus PEN, or Sony NEX.

your assumption is wrong...  forced optics correction (using the data supplied by the manufacturers) is present in ACR/LR both for interchangeable lenses cameras and for fixed lenses cameras... for example for both Panasonic m43 dSLMs and P&S compacts... it was in fact Panasonic which forced Adobe to get optics corrections tags in DNG :-)...  for a while Adobe DNG converter was producing only linear DNG files from certain Panasonic .RW2 files until a new DNG standard was implemented to address the issue.

• 9. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

> .there may be a few removable lens cameras included

if you mean 40+ % of mirrorlless market (if we just count only Olympus and Pansonic dSLMs), then yes.. a few.

• 10. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                          Yammer Level 4

I just tried searching this forum, but only found one reference (OP was deejjjaaaa, re. noise banding). If anyone could find more official info, I'd appreciate it.

I have lots of photos taken with a Lumix GF2. I always assumed the lack of lens profiles was a result of unpopularity. I even found a couple of 3rd party profiles with the profile downloader to reinforce this assumption. So now, I learn that correction *might* already be built in, but there is no official documentation I am aware of.

How do I know which cameras are auto-corrected—is there a list? What is corrected—is it just distortion, or is vignette fixed too? And which lenses?

Edit: I have since found this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/785884 using Google. Still not found any lists, but Eric does say " Lightroom 2.4 and later automatically apply geometric distortion and lateral CA lens compensations for all Panasonic models with the .RW2 raw format (since LX3, fall of 2008)." And by Lr 2.4, I assume Cr 5.4 is implied.

Edit 2: After limited testing, it seems that there's subtle differences between the built-in and 3rd party profile distortion correction, some good some bad, which I suppose is to be expected with the supplied wide angle lens. One observation which probably added to my original confusion is that there seems to be no built-in vignette correction. I am now trying out my photos with Lens profile corrections enabled, but with 0% distortion correction and 100% vignette correction. So far so good.

• 11. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                            deejjjaaaa Level 2

> If anyone could find more official info

get a raw file from any Olympus or Panasonic camera w/ the lens like P20/1.7... open in ACR/LR... then procure raw converter like rawtherapee or rpp or even command line DCRAW (or libraw)... open/convert... compare... that's it... very clear... because the difference in barrel distortion is huge (w/o correction), really huge... only very few lenses from m43 do not really require any optics corrections - the likes of PL 45/2.8 Macro or Olympus 75/1.8... and optics correction is not w/o its negative sides (I guess you saw that topic about noise banding - granted you do not see that typically, but it is there, always there... like Fuji's XTRans CFA... you may or may not get moire w/o AA filter, you can even get moire w/ AA filter - but the negative effect of XTRans CFA will be always w/ you, even in a shot where no moire will  appear otherwise)

• 12. Re: My camera is supported, but not listed in Camera Raw
                              deejjjaaaa Level 2

> How do I know which cameras are auto-corrected—is there a list?

I do not think so... certainly Panasonic/Olympus m43 cameras are known, Panasonic P&S are known, etc... the way to test for optics correction I think is to do native raw -> DNG conversion using Adobe DNG converter and check the tags that Adobe has for optics correction... or if camera's native raw = DNG then just check there directly (but even in that case I 'd still run DNG->DNG using Adobe DNG converter just in case)... plus I think if ACR/LR shows lens correction modules supplied by Adobe or by lens manufacturer (like Sigma does) for your camera/lens combo then it is probably a sign of no hidden optics correction involved... probably, because who knows, may be it is double take going on.