1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2013 5:56 PM by George_Johnson

Submitting completed PDF forms by email rather than responses in a table

jcunursing

Can I set up my PDF form with a submit button that will email the completed form to me - I don't want to see the responses collated in a table as I need to file each completed form electronically per client?

• 1. Re: Submitting completed PDF forms by email rather than responses in a table
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, but it would not have anything to do with FormsCentral. The simplest way to do this is to use Acrobat to add a button that has a "Submit a form" action for the Mouse Up event. The URL should be a mailto type URL and you should select "PDF  The Complete document" as the Export Format:

submitPDFForm.png

If it needs to work with Reader prior to version 11 and/or includes digital signatures, you will have to Reader-enable the document with Acrobat. Exactly how you do that depends on which version you have:

Acrobat 9: Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader

Acrobat 10: File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

Acrobat 11: File > Save as Other > Reader Extended PDF > Enable More Tools (includes form fill-in & save)

Also, realize that submitting by email is not all that reliable. It simply won't work for many people as they don't have a desktop email client properly configured. There are also Acrobat licensing restrictions that come into play when you Reader-enable a document with Acrobat and make the form available to more than 500 recipients, as you do when posting to a web site. Submitting the form to a web server, as is done with FormsCentral, avoids these issues. If you need a filled-in form with FormsCentral, you can alsways export the form data and use various methods to populate a blank form. If you want to pursue this approach, post in the Acrobat Forms forum here.