6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 9:22 AM by KatMichaels RSS

Variable Text?

KatMichaels

I am self-taught and have a LOT still left to learn, so forgive me if this question is wacky. I have a document (a label template) which has a text string that needs to be updated frequently. It appears 10 times in the document (10 labels per page). Is there a way I can makes copies of one instance of the text and have those copies linked to the first instance, so that I only have to update one instance any time I need an update? I'm not sure if variable text might serve this purpose, but I wasn't able to figure out how to make it work for me.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Variable Text?
          Larry G. Schneider MVP

By using the Effect>Transform you can do this

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 5.45.07 PM.png

And then this

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 5.45.45 PM.png

• 2. Re: Variable Text?
            [scott] Community Member

You could also do this via symbols. Set the first one.. then drag to Symbol Panel. Then use symbols for additional copies. When you need to edit the text, simply double-click the symbol in the Symbol Panel all symbols will reflect any changes.

• 3. Re: Variable Text?
              KatMichaels Community Member

Larry, thanks for your reply. I must be missing a part of the equation. If I already have some instances (copies) of my text, and I apply the effect to the first instance (indicating how many copies), it doesn't really seem to do anything. Can you be a bit more specific on the order of doing things here? In other words, I created a text string .I created a copy of it. Then, I applied the transform effect to the first instance, indicating "2 copies" . I tried changing the first one and it didn't seem to be connected to the second. What am I missing? Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Variable Text?

Thanks, Scott! That totally worked. Larry, I'll still wait to see what you have to say. I would like to learn as much as I can about the program, so it's good to get different options.

• 5. Re: Variable Text?
                  Larry G. Schneider MVP

Start with just one copy of the label. Use Effect>Transform to make a single copy of the label to the right of the original. With the original copy of the label still selected, use Effect>Transform again (you will receive a warning but just ignore it) to make the vertical copies. These are the two transforms shown in the Appearance panel window. Now just change the text in the first copy to change all.

• 6. Re: Variable Text?

OK - I totally got it. Thanks, Larry. What I didn't notice the first time (though you did make it clear) was that you offset the vertical or horizontal in order to be able to see the copies. I just made copies and couldn't see them. Now it totally works. I'm not sure which method will work best for my needs, but this was super helpful. Thanks to both of you! You rock!