9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 1:50 PM by Marie1966

Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.

Mama-mea

Details-  My husband and I both had one of the older Sony E-Readers.  Everything working great with the Sony Reader Software.,  My reader died and I replaced it with a Kobo Glo.  All my Kobo books have loaded fine but the directions said to load other books - from other vendors, library, free - I should install Digital Editions, which I did.  I can bring the books into digital editions and read them but can't transfer\them to the Kobo Glo (they are locked when I do) because the authroization is for this computer only.  I clicked on Help and tried to authorize (had to change my forgotten password in the process) but in the end I cannot do it because I keep getting an E_AUTH_NOT_READY message which also says that Digital Editions has encountered an error on the activation server.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software with no change.  Why is this happening and how do I get this computer authorized with an Adobe ID under Digital Editions so I can transfrer the books?

• 2. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
          sjpt Level 4

Have you already authorized the Kobo Glo with an AdobeID?

If it is authorized with a different ID from your ADE (Digital Editions) and you don't have any books on the Kobo bought with that ID,

then unregister the Kobo (ctrl-shift-E to ADE), restart ADE, and try again to register the Kobo.

If it is authorized with a different ID from your ADE (Digital Editions) and you do have any books on the Kobo bought with that ID,

you are a bit stuck.  Let us know more details and we will suggest best way out.

There are lots of bugs in ADE 2.0 that prevent it working correctly with various devices,

especially where Overdrive library books are involved.

In that case, it may be worth replacing ADE2.0 with the olver but more reliable v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

• 3. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
            Mama-mea Level 1

I'm afraid I don't really understand very much about this ID process.  I will outline what I have on the computer and what I have done, so hopefully this will give you the answers.

When we both had Sony Readers, our readers were authorized automatically (I think because I don't remember setting up a password, but I may have forgotten) when we logged on to both the Sony E-Sore and Kobo.  Most of the books bought were from Kobo but a few from Sony E-Store, one in particular that I want to bring over to the Kobo Glo.  At this time all purchased books, library books, and free books were automatically brought into the Reader Library software which came with the Sony Reader.  In addition to the Reader Library software, I also have Overdrive for downloading audio books for my MP3 player.

When I purchased the Kobo Glo yesterday, I followed the directions and installed the KoBo Desktop software which linked me into my on-line Library with Kobo and did all the syncing that put these books on the Glo.  At this point I had not installed Digital Editions. Since I have done this I notice that if I load the Sony Reader software it tells me that "Some file types associtated with EPUB files are not associated with Reader Library.  Do you want to associate them now?"  So far I have said no, but really don't understand whether  answering yes would fowl things up or not.

Next, I installed Digital Editions 2.0 because from what I read I belived that if I brought  the books I bought from the Sony Reader Store into Digital Editions I could than transfer them to the Kobo Glo.  The books opened in Digital Editions and I could read them and transfer them to the Kobo but they would not open on the Kobo.  I clicked on Help and Authorize Computer in Digital Editions and discovered that "This computer is authorized without an ID."  This apparently was done automatically as I was not given the choice of entering an Adobe ID.  I followed the directions to change this and,  in trying to set up an ID, discovered that my e-mail address was already set up with an ID, so I tried to log on but couldn't remember what the password might be.  I then reset the password and tried again.  This is the point at which I am getting the error E_AUTH_NOT_READY and  the message saying there is an error on the authorization server.

I now have Sony Reader Libary, Kobo Desktop, and Digital Editions 2.0 (plus Overdrive for audio books) on my computer.  In the end I want transfer my current books to the Kobo and to be able to put books bought, borrowed or gotten free in the future on both my husband's Sony and my Kobo.  I hope this is possible.

Many thanks for your help,

• 4. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
              sjpt Level 4

It should be possible.  Unfortunately, Adobe has introduced a very technical DRM mechanism for a typically non-technical audience.  It's confusing enough when it goes right, but when it goes wrong .....

Just verifying my reading of what you said: the E_AUTH_NOT_READY message comes from ADE still trying to authorize ADE on the desktop.  You haven't (yet) got to the stage of adding the authoriztion to the new Kobo?

One possible reason for that is that the Adobe registration server is temporarily down:  retrying a few times should eventually get it working in that case.

Another possible reason is that having the Kobo plugged in changes the way ADE works  So; to clarify things, if you haven't already, try to get ADE working on the PC before you plug the Kobo in.  If that does help, then see if you get anywhere with the Kobo.   (I know this may sound strange; but it can happen.  With my wife's Sony plugged in, ADE2.0 refused to read library books, regardless of whether I tried to move the book to the Sony.  Unplug the Sony and ADE would read the books.  For me, the solution was to move from ADE 2.0 to 1.7.2,)

• 5. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
                Mama-mea Level 1

You are correct that I have not yet been able to authorize ADE on the desktop so nothing has been transferred to the Kobo.  I will give all your suggestions a try and get back to you on my success rate.  It may be a few days as we will be away for bit but I will do what I can tonight and probably have to finish off when we get back on Wednesday.

Again, many thanks.

• 6. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
                  Mama-mea Level 1

Unplugging the Kobo made no difference, but uninstalling 2.0 and installing the older version did.  My computer and Kobo are now authorized and books are transferring and opening on the Kobo.  Yeah!!  Thanks you ever so much.  You are my favourite cyperperson!!

• 7. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
                    BCT70

I have been having the same problem...have a Sony PRS-2 and it was working fine with ADE 2.0. Then my daughter got a Kobo Touch and it wouldn't authorise. I followed your recommendations above, uninstalled 2.0, installed ADE 1.7.2 and now the Kobo is working but my Sony now won't. It isn't being recognised at all by ADE and I can't transfer any books to it. My Sony software also stopped working. Any suggestions please - I'm getting really frustrated. 

• 8. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
                      sjpt Level 4

It sounds as if the Sony driver that is installed as part of the Sony Reader install has somehow got stopped or corrupted.

If you haven't already, try rebooting the machine and seeing if that helps.

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling the Sony Reader software.

If neither of those helps, is the Sony still showing up as an external drive on the PC?  (It usually does even without any Sony specific software.)

• 9. Re: Can't get my computer authorized from digital editions.  Get message E_AUTH_NOT_READY.
                        Marie1966

Thank you so much, after hours of frustration this works!!!!!