9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 10:50 AM by Joel Cherney

Aligning text

AABBCCJuile Level 1

I know there's a way to do this, but I don't recall what it's called... so I can't find where this information is. Basically, I have text that is left justified. But it's really not. How do I force all the text to actually REALLY line up to the left. Thanks!

Julieexample.jpg

• 1. Re: Aligning text
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Window > Type & Tables > Story > Optical Margin Alignment

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Aligning text
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Optical margin alignement is unlikely to help. I think the OP wants all of the glyphs to be hard-aligned with their left-most point touching the left edge of the frame, and that just won't happen due to varying amounts of side bearing built into the different glyphs.

• 3. Re: Aligning text

Well, I'm not certain exactly what the OP wants...and I thought almost as far into it as you...then I rerread her know-there's-a-way/don't-remember-what-it's-called claim and thought it could only be the optical margin alignment setting. Your correct statment actually reinforces my suspicion despite the fact that enabling o.m.a. will most likely move the text away from the frame/inset boundary. That notwithstanding, it will indeed align the (visible) left extents of the glyphs with eachother.

• 4. Re: Aligning text
                AABBCCJuile Level 1

So am I the OP? I'm not sure what that means...

Anyway, turns out the optical alignment was already checked... so I unchecked it... and that helped. Peter was right... it isn't pertect, but it helped. Thank you both!

• 5. Re: Aligning text

Yes Julie, you're the Original Poster.

Glad I had it backwards!

• 6. Re: Aligning text

That's certainly not what I'm seeing here:

Optical Margins.png

In fact, the alignement is actually better, if you measure in terms of how nearly aligned the leftmost points are, with OMA off:

Optical Margins OFF.png

But there's a bigger complication in the OP's sample, and that's the multiple font sizes. Side bearings are, of course, relative to size, not absolute amounts.

And in my experience, saying you know there's an easy way to do something doesn't always make it so. I often have creative memory moments these days.

• 7. Re: Aligning text

OK, I see this has been resolved while I was busy doing screen caps.

I was going to mention that Julie's screen shot looked like it might already have OMA turned on.

• 8. Re: Aligning text

Side bearings are, of course, relative to size, not absolute amounts.

Yes, and now that I'm tinkering with it too, I'm finding the results can vary considerably from font to font, caps to lowercase, and serif to sans.

• 9. Re: Aligning text
                          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anyway, turns out the optical alignment was already checked... so I unchecked it... and that helped. Peter was right... it isn't pertect, but it helped. Thank you both!

It's pretty close to impossible to get this right, in some fonts. Peter nailed it when he mentioned sidebearing. I'd go a bit further, John; I'd say that it varies from glyph to glyph within a font, from font to font, and (I have a hunch) from font format to font format.

I've had jobs where I had to set each line in a separate frame to get things to line up to client's preferences. I've also had jobs where simply switching to a different font caused almost perfect visual alignment. If you have any of those Adobe Pro fonts that come with optical sets, you may find that they are much easier to use when you have one of these visual alignment issues.