6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 1:04 AM by Mylenium

Ray-Traced sampling

DaftlyPunkish Level 1

I have my comp ray-trace sampling in AE set at 20 (image on the right) but when I import the project file into PrPro it still looks undersampled (image on the left).  Is this a setting in AE or PrPro?  Or is this a PrPro problem not being able to interpret 3d very well?

Mac OS 10.7, 16 gb of RAM, 512mb GPU, CS6

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 2.19.36 PM.png

• 1. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It's not clear to e what you're doing. Please give the exact steps that you're taking.

Also, are you saying that you have the ray-tracing quality value set to 20? If so, that is extremely large. I've never seen a need for that high a value.

• 2. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
            DaftlyPunkish Level 1

Yest the Ray-trace quality is set to 20.  I'm just trying to use the animation I made in PrPro.  I did this by opening the AE project file in PrPro but it looks fragmented as if the tracing quality is really low even though I have it mega-cranked in AE.  The image on the left is PrPro and the right is AE.  I've imported AE project files into PrPro before and never had a problem but I was only doing cc.

• 3. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

A few more details will help.

Ray tracing is not always needed in AE.  For example, the image you show us doesn't even appear to contain extrusions.  If it does, it's impossible to tell that it's been ray traced and some sort of blur would work just as well.

So if you can show us a screen shot of the timeline, the footage in question highlighted in the project window, and any effects applied to the layer, we'll have a better chance of helping.

• 4. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
                DaftlyPunkish Level 1

After Effects:

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 4.59.38 PM.png

The only effect I've applied was the depth of field on the camera

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 5.00.13 PM.png

I know this says the dd logo is missing but it's there, I accidentally moved it and when I located it it kept the color checking bars.

Premiere Pro:

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 5.05.02 PM.png

I appologize if I'm being dense and these aren't what you need to see

• 5. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd never try and use dynamic link for ray traced projects in AE. Render them to a production codec then bring the footage into AE. It's going to take a long time with the quality set to 20 and you've probably not got the resources for PPro to use it's GPU enhanced processing and have AE render the footage in the background using the GPU....

AE's GPU Ray Traced rendering is still awfully shaky. You'll want to use only a high enough setting to get an acceptable render judged when the footage is playing back at full frame rates. I've never gone past 8... 20 will take forever.

• 6. Re: Ray-Traced sampling
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Agree with Rick. Render the stuff directly in AE. Think of it that way: Your card may have 128 cores and each of them may have 128 ALUs / processing steps, but by running two programs that use GPU acceleration, you slice that up an by e.g. Premiere using 32cores already, you may miss your chance to squeeze out that maximum of performance you would need in AE...

Mylenium