3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 12:28 PM by Douglas_Campbell

Master Pages: how to achieve more advanced layouts?

Douglas_Campbell Level 1

I've wrapped my head around Master Pages in the past few weeks, but now that I'm trying to get more advanced with layout options, my goals seem to beyond any resources I can find to give me guidance. What I want to achieve is pretty simple. I'm trying to benchmark some of the design that I like from Adobe Help. Here are four things I want to achieve, with the following link as a visual reference:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS0165E923-AD7A-4695-85C8-C6E7AB841171.html# WS2D5E01D8-46F3-4993-937C-2F1D2910E43D

1. How can I place the topic title at the top of the page, as it appears in the link above (e.g. "Master Pages" that appears below breadcrumbs). Is there anything in RH like the variables or building blocks in FM (e.g.  <$chapnum>) that would allow me to insert it in HTML view or use some similar method?

2. I would like to adjust the indentation of my Topic TOC, but without bullets or numbering. If you choose "No List Style" in the "Format Placeholder" dialogue box, the options to adjust Indent and Spacing parameters disappear. Is there any workaround that you know of?

3. Is there a way to create pop-up links or interactive functionality like the "Was this helpful button.?" in the link example above? Can I just tinker around in the code view using HTML, CSS, and js to achieve results similar to this example? I would like to create some type of feedback mechanism for our users.

4.  I've managed to emulate some of the borders or lines on my master page by inserting HTML in HTML view. But I wonder if there is a compelling reason to instead manage this in CSS? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

• 1. Re: Master Pages: how to achieve more advanced layouts?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          1. The topic title is normally at the top of the page. If you mean you want the breadcrumbs above it, then add a placeholder for the breadcrumbs in the header of the master page associated with the topic, then the title will drop down below that.
          2. Put the Topic TOC in a table with a narrow first column?
          3. Probably with some scripting. Pass on that one.
          4. If you update a master page linked to a topic, only header and footer updates show. Test that. If it fails, then you have your reason for using CSS.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Master Pages: how to achieve more advanced layouts?
            Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

2. Try the following CSS:

div#minitocdivplaceholder > div {

margin-left: 30px;

}

That should indent the list of entries in the TOC.

3. Yes. You need two things:

- A JavaScript + CSS to get the helpful buttons.

- A server side script (such as PHP) to post the comments to and send it to you/save it in a database.

An option like this will take a couple of hours to create. There are online examples, but they will need to be adapted to RoboHelp. I can help you with this if you like, please PM me if you want more details.

Greet,

Willam

• 3. Re: Master Pages: how to achieve more advanced layouts?
              Douglas_Campbell Level 1

In reference to #1, I wanted the title between the breadcrumbs (on top) and topic toc (below). I varied your idea a little, left the breadcrumbs at the top of the page, and placed the topic toc placeholder in the body. That allowed me to create heading text in the body above the topic toc to achieve the look I wanted. I didn't realize that the placeholders could be be placed within the body, but this worked well.