First you might want to consider registering a new user name. Email addresses are not a good idea unless you like spam.
It looks like you need to set pagination against the styles to be used to create new topics. See Importing on my site.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Thanks for your help. Sadly, I’m no better off this morning. Here are a few details that may help clarify what’s going on:
- I’ve inherited my dilemma from a technical writer who took a few days off and apparently decided not to come back. I didn’t create the Word files, but they appear to use styles correctly.
- The project involves 16 Word files totaling about 1600 pages, so doing anything manually is… not fun.
- After double-checked the Word files this morning, I started over by creating a new project and importing the first 11 files. This is what RoboHelp looks like now:
Hmmm… what’s wrong now? Let me count the ways.
- The folders you see at the top of the Project Manager pod are empty and the topics that I expected to see within each folder are listed below. If I had all day and more patience than I have, I could drag the topics one by one into the folder where they belong. (Insert heavy sigh here.)
- You may also notice that there’s no folder for Chapter 1. I don’t know why. The topics that belong in Chapter 1 are buried in the list somewhere so it “saw” the file during the import.
- To add to the fun, when RH was just about finished with the import, it said that the default.css file used by each topic was outside the project/couldn’t be found/something like that. When I started the import, I told it to just use the default css, so it shouldn’t have that problem.
Sorry if I’m a bit punchy. I thought this was going to be a relatively simple assignment and it’s keeping me from another assignment that needs to be done yesterday.
Sr. Technical Writer
Data Computer Corporation of America
5310 Dorsey Hall Drive
Ellicott City, MD 21042
(410) 992-3760, ext. 3318
Karen - your screenshot got stripped off by the forum software - use the camera icon on the web interface of the forum to include screenshots
Yes, that's better. I'd throw this one away & start again pulling 1 doc at a time. Did you read Peter's help on importing?
Yes, I read Peter's help and tried all of the recommendations. I just started a blank new project and imported 2 of the Word files separately. And once again, when I imported the Chapter 1 file, it didn't make a sub-folder for it and just dumped the topics within the import folder I had created. When I imported the Chapter 2 file, it did make a sub-folder (?!?) but still put the topics within the import folder. It's evil and I think it requires chocolate to fix!
So there's obviously something different between the Chapter 1 and 2 docs then - you'll need to dig into that to get a handle on what's happening.
Yeah, but it's not my main problem. I don't mind creating 1 folder manually. I do mind rearranging who knows how many topics one at a time.
That does help quite a bit, thanks. At least I can get the topics back into the correct folders, if not in the correct order, so that's a big timesaver. But there must be a setting somewhere that I'm missing -- I'd like the topics to be imported in the order they're in the Word docs. Instead, they're listed alphabetically. Any ideas? If not, I might cheat and use a numbered heading style to get them in the right order, although that isn't the way my customer would prefer it.