2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 8:28 PM by Newsgroup_User

Need some advice

BHT_5560
      I would like to create a corporate e-learning system. This system will be incorporated with Dreamweaver MX and Director MX. Dreamweaver will serve of the main platform, wherelse Director will be the e-learning. Most of the e-learning modules will be incorporated with short videos which is about 45 seconds to 1 minute. There will be a database module included to save records.

My questions are:

a) By using a LAN internet connection, how long would it take to view the video.
      b) Which is the best video file formats to use for developing this system.
      c) Is there any possibility where I could link my Director program with Dreamweaver.
      d) Could you please provide me a reference site of a sample Corporate e-learning system that suits the description of my systems.

thanks
        • 1. Need some advice
          Chunick Level 3
          by the sound of it your reference to corporate e-learning means it's for a known audience using known pc configurations on a known network with known security. If this is the case then I would start by getting all of that information:
          1) pc configuration - individual pc specs may vary so you can include min and max typical system specs along with OS, security software, browser and video/audio codecs installed.
          2) network configuration - do employees log into the network, are updates installed by a network admin.? what does the network admin. allow on the network, and is there a process in place to get software such as shockwave added? Is there an intranet set up? what security is in place that might stop some aspects of the e-learning site from working, etc.?

To answer some of your questions:
          a) I'm assuming you are referring to LAN internet connection vs. wireless internet connection... this is a hard question to answer as the location where the video files are served up (plus a whole host of other variables) are going to factor into the answer... is this going to be on an intranet or website hosted somewhere else over the internet? Although, generally speaking, a video running an average of 1 min. using a good codec. should be served up relatively fast.
          b) the best video formats are going to be whatever the network admins already allow, if that's a consideration as most corporate pcs are locked down with limited user accounts which usually limits the user's codecs to whatever is already installed. Otherwise, Director supports whatever codec is already installed and can be played by windows media (default install). Also, if quicktime is installed or can be installed then whatever codec is supported by the default quicktime install. After that, you get into custom codec install territory which you cannot rely upon at all from one system to another... there's also the MPEGAdvance Xtra which you might want to look into.
          c) as long as you have shockwave installed you can create a DCR file from Director including the html page and resulting code, and copy that code into a webpage.
          d) sorry, I cannot include a reference site of a sample corporate e-learning system.... they tend to be custom built and usually for 'internal use only'.

There's a good deal of thought and planning and experimentation (esp. if this is the first time taking on such a project) that will go into something like this. It's a custom project, no two ways about that... keep on posting here when you hit any snags or have questions... usually someone here has already tackled similar problems.
          • 2. Re: Need some advice
            Level 7
            > b) the best video formats are going to be whatever the network admins already
            > allow, if that's a consideration as most corporate pcs are locked down with
            > limited user accounts which usually limits the user's codecs to whatever is
            > already installed. Otherwise, Director supports whatever codec is already
            > installed and can be played by windows media (default install). Also, if
            > quicktime is installed or can be installed then whatever codec is supported by
            > the default quicktime install. After that, you get into custom codec install
            > territory which you cannot rely upon at all from one system to another...
            > there's also the MPEGAdvance Xtra which you might want to look into.

My initial reaction to this was to consider FLV files (Flash video) - no
            need to install anything or rely on codecs when using the Flash Asset xtra

> d) sorry, I cannot include a reference site of a sample corporate e-learning
            > system.... they tend to be custom built and usually for 'internal use only'.

You perhaps wnat to look into SCORM compliance:
            < http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/director_scorm.html>