5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 9:42 AM by TLL...

Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?

TLL... Level 3

Hi again

Over the past few months I've migrating much of my basic image adjustment tasks to Bridge/ACR with very good, reproducible results. However sometimes I still need to go PS for more challenging work. When I go back To Photoshop one of the ACR tools that I miss the most is the Clarity adjustment. How would one try to duplicate this tool in Photoshop?

• 1. Re: Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?
          Robert Shomler Level 4

I think of ACR Clarity as an adjustment of midtone contrast via light sharpening.  (It's really more than that in ACR, of course, but this approach offers a starting point for what you might try in PS.)  Simulating it in PS would mean using contrast enhancing (or diminishing) tools and limiting their effect to midtones.  You might try just the unsharp mask with a low amount and a high radius: duplicate your layer, apply usm to the duplicated layer (try 15% amount and radius 100) then constrain sharpening to midtones using layers Blend If option.   You might take this further by using overlay blending mode and high pass filter with blend if to produce a midtones contrast boost.

• 2. Re: Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?
            TLL... Level 3

Hey thanks

"You might take this further by using overlay blending mode and high pass filter with blend if to produce a midtones contrast boost." That's just what I did (after a Google search)!

• 3. Re: Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a Midtone Contrast adjustment in Image / Adjust / Shadows/Highlights.  Maybe it’s in the Advanced area, I don’t remember.  If you just want to do midtone contrast adjustments, then make the black and white clipping 0 instead of 0.01 or whatever it defaults to.  I usually adjust my black and white clipping levels to say 0.0001 and then set that as the new S/H default.  It is ok to clip a tiny bit but I don’t want to throw away too much in the shadows and highlights.

• 4. Re: Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I have an action called Local Contrast Enhancement in one of my commercial sets that does the job in Photoshop proper.  Think "large radius Unsharp Mask" with a bias toward more darkening than lightening.

LCE1.jpg

LCE2.jpg

-Noel

• 5. Re: Equivalent to ACR 'Clarity' in PS?
                  TLL... Level 3

Just the opposite of what I'm doing :/ trying to leave shadows open. I ended up batching an action with overlay blending mode and high pass filter, worked grrrreat!